Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pain and bleeding from gyno exam

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain and bleeding from gyno exam
wyntermidnite
Activist
Member # 24641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyntermidnite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my second gyno exam that included a speculum exam and pap smear. My first one, a year ago, was weird, but didn't hurt. This one did, the doctor is very quick, to the point of making me feel rushed in normal exams, the speculum insertion was normal but the long q tip part hurt, a lot. I told her it hurt during the exam and she said 'sorry 'bout that, its almost over' and proceeded to continue the exam without any attempt at being softer.

After the exam I noticed that I had bleeding similar to the very light end of my period. 12 hours later I still have a rusty hue when I wipe and I have had a dull pain in that area since the exam. It's bad enough for me to turn down vaginal sex I would have otherwise have liked to have.

I hope this isn't normal. Can I make a complaint and would it do anything? I already know I'd like to change my doctor, but I feel that this was really unneeded or that she could have done the exam in a less painful way, especially after I told her it hurt.

I guess I'm just frustrated. Any advice or similar experiences.

Posts: 70 | From: Fullerton, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wyntermidnite
Activist
Member # 24641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wyntermidnite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mention something pretty important, this was a routine checkup, I had no symptoms or pain or anything abnormal going on physically before my exam.
Posts: 70 | From: Fullerton, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is probably a local health board (I might ask the American college of ob/gyns... I'm not completely sure though. They have a "contact us" link on their site and you can ask them where to file a complaint in California http://www.acog.org/ You can probably also google the name of your county and "health board" and find something).

Also, is there anyone higher up at her office? Or does she work through a particular network? You could try complaining to them.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be clear, your doctor's behavior was neither normal nor cool. You absolutely should file a complaint.

However, having some cramping and/or spotting after a pap is not terribly abnormal. Especially if you have a particularly sensitive cervix or at a point in your cycle where things may be more sensitive, it is not unusual to have a bit of discomfort. I shouldn't have been seriously painful though. The spotting can sometimes last around a day. As long as it is not heavy, it's nothing to worry about.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.