Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » vaginal moisturizer to lube.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vaginal moisturizer to lube.
banana'sdream
Neophyte
Member # 40545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for banana'sdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the difference with vaginal moisturizer and personal lubricant? I'm confused and i just bought a bottle of it, not sure what it REALLY is.><

--------------------
what is reality? it can be a dream, right?

Posts: 13 | From: bed | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi banana's dream,

What's the name of the product you bought?

I haven't really seen vaginal moisturizers in the shops but can tell you that our vaginas are not in need of moisturising. We produce our own discharges during our cycle which keep our vulva and vagina moist.

Lubricant comes in brands like KY or astroglide. It's designed for use during masturbation and sex to reduce friction and dryness between surfaces. Especially if condoms/ latex barriers are being used.

Here's more on lubricant:
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/lubricant_not_diamonds_is_a_girls_best_friend

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vaginal moisturizer is usually used by women who feel uncomfortably dry during menopause, pregnancy, or hormonal contraceptive use. A dab is just placed on the vaginal/labial area, and it sorta coats the area and makes it feel moist. This can be done several times a day.

Some people use it as lubricant and swear by it, but a lube made for sexual purposes is most lasting, as eryn pointed out. :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry, I didn't know that, is vaginal moisturizer like estrogen cream for atrophic vaginitis?

[ 10-13-2008, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
banana'sdream
Neophyte
Member # 40545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for banana'sdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your answers....^^ i admit i am a tad on the dry side.....so....buying both...i use the moisturizer for well moisture when i don't want any pleasure right now....and lube for instant results...is that a good idea?

--------------------
what is reality? it can be a dream, right?

Posts: 13 | From: bed | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no need to be sorry, eryn! They're not really all that common or well-known, especially among younger women. The only reason I do is it was part of my treatment for an ongoing GYN problem. It kinda has the same function as estrogen for vaginal atrophy, except it doesn't rebuild/thicken the vaginal tissue and help the vagina lubricate itself like estrogen does. But it does temporarily coat the vaginal walls and tissue, which many women find comfortable and preferable to hormones, and many try it first until/unless they have problems only estrogen can solve. :)

Bananasdream- that's perfectly fine. If the moisturizer you bought it KY Silk-E, it's actually a product lots of GYN's recommend using for intercourse due it being gentle and very like natural vaginal moisture.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.