Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Choosing Lube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Choosing Lube
EVivian
Activist
Member # 38998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVivian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a good choice for a long-lasting lube that works well for vaginal intercourse? There are so many different choices, and I don't want to spend $15 on a bottle of something that will only end up being mediocre. I'd prefer something that does not contain glycerin (which can lead to yeast infections?), that lasts a long time (so it doesn't need to be reapplied part of the way through), doesn't taste bad (not necessarily flavored, just something that won't taste gross is intercourse is followed by oral sex) and is condom compatible. Price and compatibility with sex toys are not really issues, and rarity isn't too much either since I have a place I can visit which stocks far better selection than any local drugstore. Sorry to be so picky, but thank you very much in advance for any suggestions.
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal lube of choice for vaginal intercourse is Slippery Stuff. It's a glycerin-free, water-soluble, condom-compatible thick gel. I'm the type of person who needs a lot of lube, so my partner and I usually add some part way through, but it's not even always necessary. Also, if you add a little bit of water partway through, it helps the lube kind of reactivate. The only thing is that it tastes a little bit sour, but it's not that bad.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
embear218
Neophyte
Member # 38597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for embear218     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lube question as well, I hope it's not a problem i posted here =/ if so, just tell me! sorry if i should make a new post

anyways, my partner recently tried KY yours & mine lube. can this give yeast infections easily? whats in the lube that causes the yeast infection? ive had some vaginal irritation afterwards, is that normal?

Posts: 13 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For women who get yeast infections with lube or experience irritation, it can be due to the glycerin many lubes contain.

(It also may not be: since plenty of women don't experience this with lubes, and glycerin is also sometimes an ingredient in yeast infection treatments, the jury is still a bit out on this.)

If you want to find out if that's an issue for you, you can try a silicone-based lube (though that can cause issues for some women, too), or a lube with a low glycerin content.

I don't know what the specific glycerin content is in that lube specifically, but you can compare bottles on the shelf by looking at their ingredients and the order of those ingredients.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally prefer Astroglide, which comes in a glycerin-free variety. It's water-soluble, condom compatible, and we rarely need to re-apply any lube. A little goes a long way with that stuff too. One bottle usually lasts ,e and my boyfriend at least a month, if not several months, and we have a fair amount of sex. I love it. It comes in gel and liquid, though I prefer the liquid for vaginal sex.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that it does tend to stain sheets. My boyfriend and I just got into the habit of putting a towel down over the bed, so we just have a "sex towel" that we wash after every few uses, and that works fine and dandy for us.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also use Astroglide, though I find that it doesn't last as long as I'd like it to and I find myself constantly reapplying. Libertatissacra is right though, the bottle lasts a pretty long time. I've had the one I bought since about April or March (keep in mind though, we only have sex about one a week). Also, I find it really drippy and it honestly gets EVERYWHERE. Perhaps the gel is better in that area.

I hope this isn't going too off topic, but I was wondering if anybody has tried Wet brand? The packaging was pretty appealing last time I was at Shoppers, and they have a "natural" line that's hypoallergenic and glycerin/paraben free (and I happen to be allergic and sensitive to pretty much everything. XD)

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If and when lube gets tacky or dries up, even just adding a few drops of water can sometimes help. However, it is pretty typical to reapply lube, regardless, especially if you're at it for a while.

I haven't personally used Wet in a long time, but as I recall, it was decent lube. My personal faves these days and Pink and a longtime standby, Liquid Silk. There's also always a bottle of Astroglide around here somewhere, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.