Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Instead is Disappointing Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Instead is Disappointing Me
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen,

Can we talk Instead? I was really exciting when Walgreens etc started carrying it because I generally don't like ordering things off the internet (I'm technology phobic in some ways) and now I could try an alternative! The first two cycles it was great! Then I had a kind of wonky period so even though I had some problems, I overlooked them. THEN I started birth control (nuvaring, because the Instead cups were so great I thought, we'll just go with that system). Then I had a cycle that was OK as far as I remember. I think I only used one or two Instead. This cycle though, I'm thinking when I run out in another two cups, I'll just go back to tampons. Last night I was sitting in this desk chair with my feet on the windowsill talking to my brother on the phone. Luckily no one else was around. My cup ... hiccuped! or something. It squirted blood down my thigh, missing my pantyliner because of the weird way I was sitting, through my underwear AND my jeans. I am so glad I was wearing dark jeans. It just completely ruined my day. I definitely couldn't handle if I was outside.
I'd used Instead at a rugby match before and had some leaking after near 12 hours, but no real problem. This squirting thing, though, I am not okay with. If "bearing down" is trying to laugh really hard or something, what happens if I do laugh really hard while wearing instead?
Also I'm about to go out on a school trip to essentially an indoor playground, and I think I'm just gonna fish out a tampon rather than risk this.
I really liked Instead! They were comfy and long-lasting and just NIFTY. I'm not sure if I'm willing to try the other type of cups, that sit lower in the vagina, or if I'm just going to go back to tampons. They aren't tried and true, but my period is generally short and light enough I can just suffer through imperfect protection.
Also, would starting birth control change the shape or temperament (so to speak) of my vagina or cervix? I didn't have any problem with Instead the first two cycles and I don't know why now. Maybe the sort of lazy way Nuvaring works (as long as it's touching the walls it's good) has had a negative effect on my efficiency with insertion?
Blah. I'm just very disappointed.

--------------------
"only love freely given should keep me for her, not the constriction of a marriage tie" -Abelard and Heloise

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, in my opinion the only way Insteads resemble Divacups, Keepers or the other models of cups is that...well, they're cups. The design is SO different.

Insteads are not reusable, they're nothing close to cheaper (than reusable cups or tampons or pads), they are way more likely to make a big mess, whether they're in or you're taking them out. You or I are hardly the first women to report this.

In other words, if you're going to use cups, I personally think the reusable ones are worlds better.

I'm guessing that it was likely a coincidence this only happened after you started using the ring. However, the ring and hormones do change the vaginal environment somewhat, so it's possible that did have an effect. However, I've had the same stuff you've had happen with Instead when I tried them years and years back, and I wasn't on any kind of hormonal method at all.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EverTheWild
Neophyte
Member # 20932

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EverTheWild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just so confused that they're working worse now than at first. If something is going to not work I want it to not work right away! I've been reading a lot and see that they are basically nothing like Divacups etc. At any rate I am glad to hear (and I've been finding out also from the livejournal menstrual cups community) I'm not the only one who's had this problem.
Do you know if using diaphrams like instead cups has the same problems? I don't even know if I can GET a diaphram but I know they are fitted.

--------------------
"only love freely given should keep me for her, not the constriction of a marriage tie" -Abelard and Heloise

Posts: 36 | From: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used my diaphragm as a menstrual cup, too. I'd still say the cups designed for that use like the Diva work better, but were the choice between a diaphragm as a cup or Instead, the diaphragm would win, easy. (If I sound half-assed in this thread, just know that's because I will often get disgruntled mail from manufacturers if I say publicly that I don't like a given product: Scarleteen has a high ranking, so I'm guessing we come up with stuff like this when marketing folks self-Google. "Make a better product, then," is also not often a welcome response, even though it seems perfectly sound to me.)

Part of it is that because - like an Instead -- the diaphragm is a wide cup, getting it out when it's full of whatever is generally always going to be a bit messier, save on very light flow days. As well, they're also often a bit more likely to leak, although I've recently discovered that the Mylex wide-seal diaphragm has this kind of extra seal on the inside rim which is apparently better per BC and better per using it as a cup. Either way, though, the cup part isn't flippety-floppety like an Instead and you are getting a custom-fit.

A doctor friend of mine recently gave me a prescription for one I'm waiting to have filled, so when I get it, I'll try it out that way and get back to you.

Of course, regardless, I'm a big diaphragm cheerleader (and of all things reusable), period, and feel like it's just awesome for women to have one around, whether they use it as BC, backup BC or as a cup.

[ 08-01-2008, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertatissacra
Activist
Member # 35773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertatissacra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pack of Insteads, mostly because I was interested in something like a DivaCup but wanted to test-drive something disposable first...and I couldn't even get the darn thing in so it would catch anything. And it wasn't for lack of trying, either. Thank god I'm in the habit of backing up my tampon with a pad on heavy days. That's all I'm sayin'.

It made me hesitant to go out and get a reusable cup, though I've been hearing more and more that the reusable cups are totally different, so I think I'd still like to get one.

--------------------
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."
-Oscar Wilde

Posts: 115 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is that I LOVE MY DIVACUP!! Between my cloth and diva, I have completely changed how I view my period. I even look forward to it on days. It is sooooo worth the money. If my house burnt down in a fire, it is one of the very first things I would replace. That is how much I love it and need it. Best thing I have ever spent money on (and I reallllly don't like spending money).

EverTheWild, is there a health food store you could pick a menstrual cup up at? That way you wouldn't have to order one online. Or maybe the store could order one in for you. It was seriously so liberating to go from tampons to the diva. Really, best thing I've ever, ever done.

(I ordered mine off of Lunapads.com. Those ladies are so remarkably efficient and have such fabulous customer service...I really love them. [Smile] )

Heather, what is the name of that diaphragm? A Mylex wide-seal? If I ask my doctor to prescribe one/fit me for one, will she know what I'm talking about? Let me know how you like that one, or if you have a recommendation for another one you like, would you? [Smile]

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

My bad: Milex, with an i. You can see info on Milex diaphragms here, and see how the wide-seal is different: http://www.cervicalbarriers.org/information/diaphragms.cfm

Whether or not your doc knows what it is, what matters is just that she'll write a scrip for that one (based on your fitting with any model), and your pharmacy is willing to order it. Most have to order out for diaphragms, period, so ordering for one brand specifically shouldn't be federal case.

Otherwise, I've just always used the standard Ortho arcing spring. In fact, I've had one or another of those around no matter what other methods I was using since 1987.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.