Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Age of Consent -- What exactly does it mean?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age of Consent -- What exactly does it mean?
Independence_Day
Neophyte
Member # 39211

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Independence_Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a question. So each state has an "age of consent," right? Like in Colorado it's 17, in Arizona it's 18, in Utah and Idaho it's 18, unless the parents give permission, then it's 16...like that.

So what exactly does that mean? The website I was reading up on the subject just said that the Age of Consent was the age you had to be to agree to sex. The problem is, they left a lot of loopholes that occurred to me as I was reading about virginity on this site. Is this age of consent law referring to just vaginal sex? Or is oral/anal/etc included as well?

--------------------
Iím selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you canít handle me at my worst, then you sure as h*** donít deserve me at my best. --Marilyn Monroe

Posts: 13 | From: The Capitol of Creepatopia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about America but over here the age of consent for ANY type of sex oral, manual and intercourse is 17
That parents permission thing is a bit odd :S

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namida
Activist
Member # 28700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Namida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Idaho the one where polygamy is legal? Perhaps that's Utah... Stupid little ozzy wouldn't know.
Anywho, NO sexual interaction is my interpritation, however it may only cover intercourse (allowing outercourse) but I doubt it since it's illegal for a 40 year old to fondle a 12 year old...

[ 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Namida ]

--------------------
And still the beds are burning, burning in our sleep.
Take me away from everything I see.

Posts: 66 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, parental consent isn't valid in the U.S. when it comes to age of consent. The law still sees it that if you are under a certain age and engage in sexual intercourse, regardless of if your parents or your partner's parents allow it, you or your partner could be arrested for it (depending on which one of you is under the age of consent). What you are thinking of is the age at which a person can get married. In some states, parents can give consent for two people to get married at a younger age than the state's requirement. That is different from the age of consent, though.

Age of consent is the age at which you can legally have sexual intercourse. In different places, sexual intercourse is defined in different ways, and in some places even kissing can land you in trouble. You'll have to view that place's age of consent laws to know for certain what is and isn't allowed.

(Also, polygamy (or rather polygyny, which is having more than one wife at a time, whereas polygamy is having more than one spouse at a time, regardless of sex) isn't legal anywhere in the U.S. There are certain groups which practice it, but they do so in secrecy and without the permission of the law.)

[ 07-08-2008, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Namida
Activist
Member # 28700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Namida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame, i'm quite a fan of polygamy (all polygamy, which is what I meant) as long as everyone's in it for the right reason (love) and everyone's happy with the arrangement.

--------------------
And still the beds are burning, burning in our sleep.
Take me away from everything I see.

Posts: 66 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hollie5626
Neophyte
Member # 35451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hollie5626     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it common for kids in America to actually be prosecuted for having consensual sex with each other? And what is the sentence usually? It just seems like, from what I read on Scarleteen, that age of consent is a lot more serious in America then it is in Australia. Apparentely we do have the same laws in Australia, but I don't think they're ever actually enforced. No one ever mentions them. I mean I was under age when I had sex for the first time but it was never an issue - no way was I going to be sent to jail or anything just for having sex with the boy I loved.
Posts: 22 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is enforced the same way in Australia, if the authorities find out/its reported etc.
But realistically, when two consensual people have sex, while under the age of consent they aren't generally going to shout it from the rooftops.
I don't know about America, but if both are under the age of consent in Aust. then they generally won't do anything.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Namida, perhaps you are thinking of polyamory and not polygamy? Polyamory is simply having a relationship with more than one person, while polygamy is being married to multiple people. There's absolutely nothing wrong with polyamory, so long as everyone involved is fully informed and does so willingly. The only problem I have with polygyny is that it seems like the women involved often don't have equal rights. So long as all partners involved are given equal rights, then I see nothing wrong with it.

If both people are under the age of consent, then usually neither will be punished (though that does depend on the specific laws for that area). In most places in the U.S., so long as the older partner is no more than a certain number of years older, then they won't be in trouble for it. Again, though, that also varies from place to place so it's always best to check that particular place's laws. The sentence for someone having sexual intercourse with a person under the age of consent will also vary depending on the locale and also on the judge (or whoever hands down the sentence).

You may also want to take a look at this site for age of consent in different countries and the different states in the U.S. Also, pay attention to the footnotes at the bottom of the page as they contain some additional important information.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.