Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » fertility, condoms, etc. etc.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: fertility, condoms, etc. etc.
fifimcfae
Neophyte
Member # 26599

Icon 5 posted      Profile for fifimcfae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when being asked when my last period was, should i give them the date i got it or the date it stopped? for example, my last period started on june 1st and ended by june 6th. also, when counting out 28 days, should i count from the first day of my last period or the last day?

and also! is there a higher chance of getting pregnant the week before your next expected period or is it the the week after your period?

--------------------
if they ask why we left in the first place
say we were young and we were so in love
...i guess we just needed space.

Posts: 33 | From: indianapolis, IN USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jase Watson
Activist
Member # 39090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jase Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, well. If someone asks you when your last period was, then youd give them the date that is started, in your recent case, June 1. Although, most doctors will ask you how long your cycle <i>cycle</i> was. A cycle is the date from which it started to the end. 28 days is just a set time, because the average woman has her period occur within 28 days. Mark your cycles down on a calendar to find your approxamate time between periods. If you are 28 days norm. between, you count 28 days after the date your cycle ended, so for your recent case, June 7th would be day 1 of 28 days. Although there are factors like stress that can delay your period, or even make you miss it altogether. Hope that helps you out! [Smile]

[ 07-01-2008, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Jase Watson ]

--------------------
- Jase Watson

Posts: 58 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jase, that's not quite accurate. The menstrual cycle is actually from the first day of a period, all the way to the start of the next period. So, in your case fifimcfae, you would start counting from June 1. A 28 day cycle is the average, and most women have cycles that last 23 to 35 days. If a doctor asks you when you last period was, you would give them the day it started.

Because of these variations, you can't just count days to figure out a "safe" time. You would have to chart your cervical mucus, as well as your basal temperature for several months before being able to tell with any kind of accuracy when you're ovulating. For more information on the Fertility Awareness Method, check out: Get With the Flow: All About FAM.

You can also check out On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation for more details on the menstrual cycle.

[ 07-01-2008, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.