Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Tampax Pearl Curiousity Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tampax Pearl Curiousity Questions
VisualMadness69
Neophyte
Member # 38591

Icon 5 posted      Profile for VisualMadness69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom picked me up a box today and they're scented. I have never had scented tampons before and I am totally confused as to why they would need to be scented. The idea of putting something with a scent in me while on my period makes me worry a little, just doesn't seem safe?

It also has on the side of the box the absorbency range of tampons dep. on if you get lite - super plus ... why would a girl want to know this? How could you even measure such a thing? I don't think I know of any girl that enjoys her period so much that she wants to know such specifics.

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not sound for your best vaginal health to use scented tampons.

Will it kill you? No. It also isn't likely to make you particularly sick. But it can incline you more towards vaginal infections. When it comes to what goes inside your vagina, you want it to be as pure as possible: if you're using tampons, the best choice is 100% unbleached cotton, for instance. As well, adding fragrances when you have your period actually makes it more likely your flow will have a stronger scent, not less. But menstrual shame is so widespread that people can make money marketing things like this to women.

Tampon boxes list absorbency ranges so people can know which size is best for them. That's not frivolous information, since part of reducing the risks of TSS is to use the lightest absorbency possible for a given person's flow, so a person needs to know that info. And you can measure what that flow is like you measure anything else: for women who use Divacups there are even markers on the side to see exactly how much flow there is for those who want to know, and some folks do want to know just because it's their bodies, and they want to know as much as possible about them.

[ 06-08-2008, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VisualMadness69
Neophyte
Member # 38591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VisualMadness69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I see, I understand, thanks. I'm looking into getting the diva cup but it isn't cheap.
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering, are most tampon brands like Tampax, Playtex, and Kotex... are those tampons all usually made with bleached cotton... or not?

I'm assuming they are, and that I'd need to go to a health food store around town to get tampons that are not made with bleached cotton.

I read the side of the boxes, and it doesn't say specifically "bleached cotton" it just says "cotton rayon fibers" something like that.

Does anyone know more specifically about this??
Thank you!! [Smile]

Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it says "unbleached" or something similar on the box, you can assume it is bleached. Natracare is one brand that makes unbleached, organic tampons. They're on the more expensive side, though. If you go to a health food store (or if you have a Whole Foods grocery store near you) you can usually find some unbleached tampons and pads there.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justpeachy
Activist
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justpeachy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much!! [Smile]
Posts: 61 | From: right here : ) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.