Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A sex ed video for all of you!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A sex ed video for all of you!
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alysssa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last semester in my Feminist Theory class, a classmate and I had the opportunity to make a sex ed video as our final project. We were sooo excited, because we feel that most sex ed in the classroom these days is... well, not that great. When we were writing the script and shooting, Scarleteen was a hugely helpful resource for us. Actually, whenever I'd go to Scarleteen, I would become overwhelmed with all of the information that we just didnt have time to include in the video!

Nonetheless, the video is done, and I have uploaded the first section (of four) to YouTube. This section is called "The Equipment," and it's about anatomy... and beyond. The video is aimed at high school age people, and it may be inappropriate for younger viewers. We tried to do a mix of humor and factual information. I really hope you enjoy it -- if so, I'll post on Scarleteen as I finish uploading the rest. [Big Grin]

The Equipment, part one
This section of the video covers topics such as physical anatomy (and what the parts do), arousal, vaginal fluid, semen, and intersexuality.

The Equipment, part two
This section of the video covers topics such as gender identity, sexual orientation, the characteristics of semen & vaginal fluid, and size.

(for more in-depth info about the video, visit the Changing Sexpectations blog.)

--------------------
Feminism is just another tool women should have in their toolboxes, right next to their dildo.

Posts: 21 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alyssa, these are SO charming! I'm going to link these in one of our resourses sections.

I've been spending my day dealing with a serious backlog of work as well as a busted kitchen pipe, so these were a very nice mini-break. Well done!

I hope you got a great grade on this if you go to school where there's a grading system. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alysssa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I'm delighted!! Especially about the link. We really wanted to be able to get the video out there when we were done with it -- to the people that need it the most!

The final project was a huge part of our final grades, and both my partner and I got As. Our teacher said the video was "sensational." We were really proud.

--------------------
Feminism is just another tool women should have in their toolboxes, right next to their dildo.

Posts: 21 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good! You should be. Really, those were just delightful. What a treat. [Smile]

Here's your link: http://www.scarleteen.com/resource/body/changing_sexpectations

[ 06-06-2008, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alyssa those are awesome- I just about died when that one fella was comparing the clitoris to a redhot candy [Razz]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Alysssa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The second section is online now! It's called Interpersonal Connections (Relationships) and covers topics such as masturbation, sex toys (store-bought and DIY), relationships, Facebook pitfalls, pre-sex conversation ideas, and one-night stands!

Here it is: Interpersonal Connections (Relationships)

There are two more sections coming up soon, SEX and Yes... It Can Happen to You! I will post here when they are up on YouTube.

[ 06-08-2008, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Alysssa ]

--------------------

Kulutues
Neophyte
Member # 38724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kulutues     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched this and shown this to other people of the same age and we unanimously agree that it is "dumb," and almost totally disrespect it as a teaching tool.
Posts: 24 | From: Delaware Valley | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alysssa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kulutues:
I've watched this and shown this to other people of the same age and we unanimously agree that it is "dumb," and almost totally disrespect it as a teaching tool.

I appreciate your "criticism," I guess, but it would be nice to know why you think it is so "dumb" and void of educational merit.

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Kulutues, we need you to please keep responses on these boards tactful and constructive; comments like this are neither.

At this point I'd like you to review the User Agreement, in which there are several sections under the "Things that may result in termination of use" that you have violated during your usage here, namely in items 3, 5, 6, and 7.

If you have any concerns about the rules or your posts/our reactions, please direct them to email via the Contact link at the bottom of the page. Any response in this thread other than addressing the question the OP asked you will be deleted and may result in a ban, as well as continuing to post outside of the mission of the site, which is to empower and inform readers to make the best decisions for themselves and have constructive discussions relating to sexual and general health in a safe, empathetic space. Thank you.)

[ 06-10-2008, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to start off with the fact that I think that was a very bold video, something you don't see much of when it comes to sex-ed, and refreshingly straight forward.

I don't know what exactly your target audience was, but I think it'd definitely be more appropriate for some ages than others. Maybe middleschoolers...

While I personally enjoyed the video, I think that highschoolers often feel like their intelligence is being undermined when being taught sex ed, and while I don't feel that the video was undermining anyone's intelligence, I do feel that it could be construed that way.
I think highschoolers are very wary of people acting like they don't know things about sex, and therefore can be paranoid that someone is trying to "teach them" things they already know, or act as if they know better.

On a side-note, I enjoyed the blunt way innersex characteristics was approached, and I think if it were approached in that manner more often, there would be a lot less stereotyping and labeling. I thought that section was particularly refreshing.

I'm sending the links to my boyfriend. I know he'll be rolling on the floor at the clitoris being compared to red hots... haha

BRAVO BRAVO!!!

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Thanks, hs123, for the thoughtful comment. I cannot begin to explain how difficult it is to write a script for a sex ed video! There is so much to say, and decisions had to be made about what was most important. In the process, more complex insights had to be left out, and inevitably, certain parts ended up a bit underdeveloped/elementary. Also, even the construction of sentences gets complicated when trying to -- all at once -- avoid gender stereotyping, be respectful to all bodies and sexualities, and then of course, keep up a friendly, non-condescending tone. Especially when trying to cover the basics, it is near impossible to create a script that doesn't, under the surface, say "I am teaching you this, because you don't know."

Our use of humor was very important to us. I think people/kids are much more receptive to learning things when humor and absurdity are involved. I know that some high school kids do shove away all forms of sex ed, BUT I also know there are people like me who, in high school, really would've appreciated some accurate and straightforward information, presented in a humorous manner.

I'd say a lot of the delivery of the lines is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. The "did you know every vagina is unique?" line is supposed to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, for example. The scene where my friend says, "we assume you all know what a relationship is," and proceeds to list off kid-like things is supposed to really be funny to high schoolers, since a lot of traditional sex ed treats them as though they are 10 years old.

I can definitely see how you'd think that some of it may be appropriate for middle-schoolers. The anatomy stuff, yeah, is pretty general, somewhat obvious information. If you watch the upcoming SEX section, though, you might not be so keen on showing this to middle-schoolers. [Wink]

--------------------

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I personally think that the younger people are exposed to these things (at an appropriate age of course, obviously this video may not have been appropriate for kindergarteners!) the better. My school started sex ed in 6th grade, and I think that was the perfect time. Instead, they chose to push off any sort of drug talk until 9th grade, which was where the problem was seen.

But, I think that the earlier kids are exposed to these things, the more receptive they will be to the information later in life. I think that most of the highschoolers who aren't receptive to any form of sexed are usually the ones who think they know what theyre talking about- not from sex ed, but just from what theyve heard. Afterall, who would listen to a teacher over their friends!!! What an absurd concept! Haha

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Yeah, I know what you mean. You're right; it is those types of high schoolers who end up pushing away helpful information. I think it's the video's sex tips that make me wary to suggest it for middle schoolers, but hey, you be the judge!

SEX, part one
This first part of the SEX section deals with communication, outercourse, birth control, STIs, condoms and how to use them, and virtual sex.

--------------------

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Okay, that one was amazing. Definitely targeted to more my age. I have to say, the guy in it has the BEST parts, and I think he does the best job really. He makes it seem so not contrived.

The other parts seem slightly less entertaining and more informative, but I think that overall, this one was really really great.

The birthcontrol section was really really great. And the little song as well. I truly enjoyed this one.

Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Ha, do you mean the puffy-haired dude? That's my boyfriend. He also wrote all the music for the video, including the birth control song (which was quite difficult, considering the mountain of information I told him he "had" to include!).

Yeah, I can see how different sections make the video seem like it's for different age groups. My partner and I basically just wanted to create the kind of sex ed we wanted for ourselves, so we mixed them together. Oops.

--------------------

chicago57
Neophyte
Member # 37879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chicago57         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought after watching all four videos that it was time to add my input. I loved these videos! As a highschool student, my health class sex-ed consisted of "this is what herpes looks like-- so don't have sex!" And even though I'm not sexually active, I still am very interested in educating myself as much as I can. These videos have taught me alot about my self sexually, as well as my boyfriend and his body. (Like I have 8,000 nerve endings, which is way more than him, so that's pretty awesome! haha)
So after the many opinions on this message board, I just thought I would add mine to say thanks for making a sex-ed video that I actually wanted to watch and found interesting, with humor and information that I feel was very directed towards myself and my high school age group.

And I liked your boyfriend's birth control song too!

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Thanks a lot, chicago57! That means a lot.
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the videos you made Alyssa and I gotta say I totally loved them, those were definatly funny, especially your boyfriend. Nice work ! :)And thanks for sharing them with us.

[ 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched #4 and I had to say that the "What, titty f***ing?!" made me almost pee.

Fabulously done!

(Just an addition.. In my sex ed class, they taught us to push the condom to the side while STILL in the package, so that when you open it there's no chance of it ripping ^_^)

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kleecrue655
Neophyte
Member # 38969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kleecrue655     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These videos are great because they're not only informational, they're funny too!

--------------------
-kayleigh

Posts: 4 | From: CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVivian
Activist
Member # 38998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVivian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to mention that these are fabulous videos (well, all parts of the same movie I guess, right?). Yes, they are rather silly at parts, but they added to the film by making sure it wasn't being pretentious or trying too hard to be "cool." I look forward to seeing the last one (there is a final segment, right? Last I checked it said there was a sixth video, but I could be wrong).
Posts: 71 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alysssa
Neophyte
Member # 38802

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Thank you so much for all the positive comments! It means a lot to me that you like it.

Yes, the rest is up now. Sadly, there are only two more segments, and the last one is a bit of a downer (although I must say I am quite proud of the credits -- there are a few bloopers in them).

SEX, part two
This section of the video covers topics such as oral sex, sexual intercourse, lube, anal sex, the prostate and G-spot, and sex positions.

Yes... It Can Happen to You
This section of the video covers topics such as STIs, how to determine pregnancy, unplanned pregnancies and how to deal with them, condom breakage, and "Can I get pregnant if...?"s.

So that's the entire video. I've made a playlist on YouTube for the whole thing, which you can access here. You can watch all the videos in order that way. I haven't found a place where I can upload the whole 45-minute video (Google Video is giving me guff), so that's the best I have right now.

I also plan to edit some bloopers together at some point. I will definitely post them on YouTube when I do. Check out the Changing Sexpectations blog for more info/news about the video. I might end up selling copies of it eventually, and I will have a page on the blog for that.

Oh, and I went a little crazy making a back cover for the DVD, so I need to share it:

-

[ 06-26-2008, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Alysssa ]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.