Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » even MORE worrying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: even MORE worrying
fallchild
Activist
Member # 28780

Icon 11 posted      Profile for fallchild         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so a few days ago I posted in the Emergencies section about STI's and unprotected manual sex. I understood and appreciated the answer I got from Heather and I figured just to be safe I'd get tested when I could (not as an urgent thing). But.....now I have itching and burning going on and a little red bump (which my logical mind says is an ingrown hair). I probably won't be able to get to the doctor until Tuesday morning. Could I have REALLY caught something this soon or is this just general irritation? I talked to Planned Parenthood and they said that I'd have to wait THREE months after the unprotected-ness to get tested, so that's why I'm wondering if just in a week I could've caught something. I think I'm also stressing myself out, which I do really well. I'd appreciate any feedback.

I hope you guys don't take this as double posting. I just figured people have much worse "emergencies" than me.

[ 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: fallchild ]

--------------------
"It's better to die on your feet than live down on your knees"

Posts: 117 | From: SLC, UT | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?
Activist
Member # 37530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Typical Young and Dumb Teenager?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've learned, it would take a lot longer than a couple of days for signs of an STI to appear.

On occasion, my private also itches and burns, but most of the time it's because Im about to start. Im not sure if that's normal or not, but that's just me. When this happens though, I usually just wash more. I mean, I wash good every night, but before my period its like 'scubbing' it for a couple of days helps.

The bump is probably an ingrown hair, and because you are worried that you may have a STI, you are just being self-conscious about it.

Good luck.

--------------------
Young and Dumb.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." - Keith Urban

Posts: 243 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Itching and burning can be caused by a lot of things besides STIs. For instance, I'm particularly prone to yeast infections which can itch like crazy.
As well, general irritation from things like weather, or not wearing breathable fabrics can cause irritation. I know when I jog a lot (I live in a humid climate also) and don't wear breathable cotton underwear I get very irritated- so it could be cause by a lot of things, but seeing a doctor is probably the best thing to do at this point.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treatment for an ingrown hair:
First you want to make and apply a warm wet compress (wet a washcloth thoroughly) and hold it against the skin where the ingrown hair is located.You want to do this about ten minutes – until you can see the hair.

Once you can see the hair, you want to use either a sterile needle or tweezers to tease the hair out from under the skin. Don't dig or pluck – as this can cause a new growing hair to have the same problem. You also want to be gentle and avoid cutting the skin.

Wash with a gentle moisturizing soap Apply antiseptic (peroxide) to avoid infection. If this dries the skin a moisturizer can be used to help.

Also: Seeing as you live in Utah, it's starting to get warmer - which in general means that there's a lot more sweat being held against the skin than in cooler weather. Visiting the doctor is really best to make sure you don't have something like a yeast infection, and if it is the heat even applying a bit of baby powder to your skin can help keep the area dry as well.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.