Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » condom questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom questions
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unknown person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay i got a few questions. I'm a virgin and all and that leaves me with a lot of wondering.

1. i never tried a condom on before and i don't own one and would feel too weird to buy them on my own and I'm certain it would be extremely awkward and uncomfortable if i went with a friend(especially since all my close friends already have 1 or 2 for themselves and since they know I'm not sexually active). i read in intercourse101 that the first time you put it on shouldn't be the first time you have with intercourse so i shouldn't buy it with her the day we were to decide to intercourse. so i ask, what are some reasons why guys shouldn't put a condom on the first time and have intercourse?

2. okay I'm sorta answering my first question here but i would still be interested a good list of answers for my first question. so my second question is, you should leave about half an inch of room for your ejaculate IF it doesn't have a nipple on the condom right? .. but by imagining and judging, i don't think half an inch would be close to near enough room, so where would my ejaculate all go? and how would the nipple on the condom support the contractions of the ejaculate? wouldn't it brake right through it? or are you telling me the nipple on the condom will just bloat up like a balloon inside a girls vagina( i doubt that lol)

so yea, i wonder too much and worry too much, and just thinking about condoms, i came up with these two questions( and sub questions) that really confuse me. Thanks a lot if someone can answer me some of the questions.

Posts: 33 | From: earth | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to first time intercourse, it is much, much safer and smarter to have as much as you can planned out beforehand. Impromptu intercourse, especially for the first time, can lead to mistakes that can cause pregnancy and STD risks.

The more familiar you are with condoms, the better. If you know how to use them well beforehand, you're less likely to make a mistake when it really counts. Tension and anxiety before the first few times having sex can make people do silly things: put the condom on inside out, not leave enough room at the tip for semen collection, or forget them completely. Plus, if you buy condoms and don't try them out first, you may be rudely suprised if you find out that they are too big/small, aren't lubricated (and you don't have extra lube, which is also something you should invest in) or just aren't what you expected.

Once you get used to them, then it's no bigge. But before your first experience with intercourse, it's smarter to get familiar with them.

As for the condom itself: if the condom doesn't have a "nipple" or taper part at the tip to collect semen, than yes, leave about 1/2 inch. If it does, no worries. As for the room issue, 1/2 and inch is plenty, even if it doesn't look like it. Guys produce an average of something like a tablespoon of semen per ejaculation; condoms are designed and tested to hold more than that.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unknown person     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay thanks for replying best as you can. i guess i just have to try it myself but no courage to go up to someone and purchase, ask for one.

a tablespoon per ejaculation? not me. not that i tried catching my ejaculate on a table spoon or anything but I'm sure its more than that.

but yea, thanks for the response.

Posts: 33 | From: earth | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably looks like quite a bit more than it is in reality.

As far as buying condoms, remember that most store clerks don't pay too close attention to what you're buying unless it's liquor or cigarettes, something that requires ID. Condoms don't require ID, so unless the person behind the counter is someone you know, they are unlikely to say anything, or even really care. They see it all the time.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you might even be lucky enough to live by a store that has the self-checkouts, so you wouldn't necessarily have to talk to ANYONE when you buy them [Smile]

(yay for self checkouts!)

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

yeah, theres a wal mart nearby, but those line ups are like 1000 people in one aisle. id have to like, keep the condom box in my sleeve jacket sleeve or something. but if anything, id probably go to a 24 hr drug store at liek 2 am and get it. thanks for the help.
takemeout10
Neophyte
Member # 38565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for takemeout10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
practice with the condom before actually having sex with one helped me a lot. Even masturbating with one on will visually answer all the answers you have, and help you understand how they work.

on the subject of buying them i know how you feel. I was so nervous the first time i bought some. The very first time i thought my heart was about to explode, but it get better after that. Actually today was prob the 2nd or 3rd time i have bought some and i wasn't nervous at all. If i work at a Rx store and saw you buying some i would actually have a great respect for you if you bought them....#1 i know how you would be felling and #2 that i would have respect for being smart and using that protection

Posts: 3 | From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

haha okay thanks for the boost in confidence to buy something at a store. i am still hesitating to buy one.. i was going to go to a drug store at like 2 am and get one but then i found out its only open till midnight. lol, it makes me laugh myself. i was even thinking just going in there a day before just to scope out where they are first for next time so i dont have to go all over to look for it haha sounds pathetic. but yea, thanks for support
takemeout10
Neophyte
Member # 38565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for takemeout10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no thats funny cuz i did the same thing there is a drug store right down the street from my school, and i made sure i knew where they were (even where the one i was going to buy was so i wasnt stuck staring at the condoms). but when i NEEDED them i suck it up and we towards the isle.....and passed it got a drink ....then headed back towards the isle..... and decided i didnt want that drink so headed back..... then went BACK the theisle and grabbed them and headed to the checkout..... the ladies are professional abouut it they wont look at you and stare i promise
Posts: 3 | From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful*But*Lonely
Neophyte
Member # 38578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful*But*Lonely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well to answere your questions.

1. You should always practice putting the condom on to make sure you arent going to snap it, by that i mean like a rubber band when you pull and let go it snaps your skin and hurts. See for most guys they will accidentally do that and then its hard to get back in the mood, and then by the time you do, your insignificant one loses intrest. And that is from a females point of view.

2. A half inch may not seem like enough room but it is plenty, and "IF" it so happens not to be then it will run down your penis. And if you are worried about it seeping out of the condom and into the female, it's highly unlikely she will get pregnant.

Hope I helped.

--------------------
*To keep yourself together when *everybody else expects you to *loose all self is *TRUE STRENGTH*

Posts: 8 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

okay.. i finally bought it and tried it out myself (After the guy who worked there had to restock the condoms for like 10 mins so i wlaked around the store like a nervous wreck just waitin.. the cashier was like. have a nice night) .. and it kinda did balloon for like split seconds for each contractions. my foreskin got in the way alot when i tried the first one on. it kept rollign up so i used another.so my 2nd condom i tried pulling the rim all the way down as possible and snugging my foreskin in it and sliding it to the front and this helped quiete a bit.

also, when i teared my condom package open, i accidently riped open a little piece of the other condom package.. its exposed to air but its not a big rip at all.

so..

was i doing my foreskin correctly?

and is a condom still good if its still to be used
and still in its package, but got riped open a little bit and exposed to air?

is it common for the tip of the condom(the little nipple) to gradually get bigger?(meaning you do have to roll it down once in a while)

Thanks

Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful*But*Lonely:
2. A half inch may not seem like enough room but it is plenty, and "IF" it so happens not to be then it will run down your penis. And if you are worried about it seeping out of the condom and into the female, it's highly unlikely she will get pregnant.

Actually, just to clarify, there will be enough room in the condom for your semen. And they are scientifically designed to keep the semen in the condom. This is why, right after intercourse, you should remove your penis from the female. Because, if you don't, the penis will soften and the condom has a high risk of slipping off. And, if a condom leaks ir spills onto or into the woman's vagina, there is a moderate to high risk of pregnancy.

This is why testing them out beforehand is so important. You won't have to worry so much about anything going wrong if you practice before.

Check out these articles, they will give you more information about how to use a condom.
Condom Basics: A User's Manual
Man's Best Friend - Male Sexual Anatomy

The condoms are sealed for a reason, so if the seal is broken before when you want to use it, it isn't good anymore. But, if you are just using them to practice it will be fine. It will not protect you from STI's or pregnancy.

[ 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Love-Life ]

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 05-25-2008, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Love-Life ]

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unknown person
Neophyte
Member # 33283

okay another question.. whats the difference between lube and spermicidal lube? i saw it on different condom boxes but didn't know what it ment. thanks
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicidal lube contains spermicide- this is a chemical added to the lube that can kill sperm on contact. However, the amount on the condoms is so small that it really wouldn't provide much protection if the condom broke, and the chemicals in spermicide can really irritate female genital tissue, so it's really best to stick with plain lube on your condoms rather than spermicide.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.