Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Being Smart

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being Smart
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all...nice to be at ST again! [Smile]

Long story short, there's a new boy, and we've been talking about a sexual relationship, and about getting tested before we pursue one. The boy says he just had a full work-up (a visual exam, and both urine and blood samples), and I told him I wanted to see the papers. When he gets them from his PCP office, what should I cognisant of?

Also, I had a gyn appt. a couple of months ago, and my results were normal (Yay!). When they do a pap smear, besides looking for abnormal cell activity, what STIs do they test for? Is it only gonnorhea and chlamydia? What is the best way for ME to get a full work-up?

It's been about 9 months since I've been sexually active, if that helps with my question.

Thanks, always, you guys are great!

"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 231 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Hallie!

Good on you for being so smart about this. [Smile]

If you're not sure about what testing you're getting done, talk to your doctor. Some routinely check for STIs, other's don't, and the best way to make sure you're getting the best care is to talk to the doctor and let them know what you want and need.

As for your partner's test results - I've never seen such records in the US, so I couldn't tell you what to look out for, but if you're not sure what to look for, again, a doctor is the person who can explain best. Maybe accompany your partner when he picks up his results and have the doctor explain them for both of you? (Or maybe a US-based volunteer can give you a better reply here.)

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3