Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Delaying Period - Confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Delaying Period - Confused
Msj
Neophyte
Member # 14026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it seems like every other post and I read your article about menstruation but I just needed a personal opinion to feel a little more at ease about my situation if that's okay [Smile]

I am not sexually active. However, my periods usually take place every 20-22 days and then last for 4-5 days. My last period ended on the 21st of December. Since my periods are usually "in-sync" I was concerned when it didn't come last weekend and is now 4-5 days overdue.

There are only 2 things that came to mind when this happened:

1) There was a guy I was interested in and we enjoyed one another's company. We did not engage in intercourse and since he had no protection I didn't have myself anywhere near his privates. There was a time when he was slightly aroused and he wiped some pre-ejaculate off with his hand and then wiped his hand and privates with a paper towel/tissue. Then at one point he touched me on my privates. Though I think the likelyhood is still low it's been on my mind.

2) Stress. Last week was very stressful/panicky for me because it's my last year at university and I had to sort out class and work schedules which was difficult. So a lot of things were on my mind at the time.

Because of Situation 1, I decided I'd get a pregnancy test at the end of the week if it still didn't arrive but instead I got one today due to my slight paranoia. I'm pretty sure I took it correctly and it came out negative so I feel slightly better.

However I am aware that false negatives can come out the first week or two, but I feel more confident that it's not pregnancy at this point. Would it have been alright to take the test when it wasn't the day I was expecting the period, instead of some days later? (I plan to take another in 3 days just to be sure.)

My stomach has also been playing tricks on me. Since the beginning of the week, I've been feeling tiny, little "cramps" that indicate that my period is near (like it usually does) yet still nothing.

I've been trying not to stress over it too much but I was curious to know if there could be any other theories. I'm still optimistic that it'll come by this week (hopefully) but for it to be delayed really boggles me since it hasn't happened before.

Sorry if this is too long. Thanks for reading [Smile]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your sexual encounter, your pregnancy risk was so miniscule that you really needn't worry about it. I would say that Stress and your worrying over pregnancy would be the reasons your period is delayed.
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was your 'risk'? Pregnancy tests are accurate 10-14 days after the risk or on the first day of your missed period. So But even if you took the test a little early, the previous poster is right: I'm not really seeing a risk in the situation you described, either.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msj
Neophyte
Member # 14026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Msj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by September:
When was your 'risk'? Pregnancy tests are accurate 10-14 days after the risk or on the first day of your missed period. So But even if you took the test a little early, the previous poster is right: I'm not really seeing a risk in the situation you described, either.

It was around Jan.3-4th.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Msj
Neophyte
Member # 14026

Ahh! It came today. Thanks for the advice to those who replied [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.