Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Yeast infection... perhaps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast infection... perhaps?
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a while ago I made a post about some vulval discomfort I was having.

I tried my best to leave things alone after that, and it went away after a short time. My period came and went and everything was good until about two weeks after my period, when the itching started up again. Yet again, I tried ignoring it, took a warm bath when I was home, after a few days it seemed to go away, and then I was fine. Well, I've had one more period since then, and again, about two weeks after my period, the itching started again. Its pretty much on in full force.

The area just above my labia feels dry and itches, and then has a stinging pain if it is rubbed or scratched (to relieve the itching). The other day, the skin on my labia seemed to be peeling (not a lot, but a thin layer), and I noticed the telltale "yeasty" smell with my discharge. (For a while I didn't know what a "yeasty" smell would be like... but then it smelled kind of like the kitchen does when my mom bakes bread and it made sense).

I know that this can't be diagnosed over the internet, but does this seem like a yeast infection? With everything I've looked at, it seems to make sense, and even the slight peeling is listed as a possible symptom on some sites.

It would also explain the fact that it never really seems to go away, and comes back around the same time, I think.

If it does seem like a yeast infection, what would be the best way to treat it? I wanted to try a home remedy before getting my mom super involved, and I saw the "yogurt" method. Would this work for me? Also, how does it work? I know you apply it, and you can either put it inside you or put it on a tampon and put it inside you, but is there a time limit on how long it's okay to do that? Like... do you have to wash it off/rinse it out within _ hours? Some sites said one hour, another said two at most, and most don't even list a time.

Posts: 25 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time, you had said you had a GYN appointment coming up: what happened with that?

Really, with something going on this long, I'd not try and self-treat: even if it is a yeast infection, at this point, you're past home remedies. I'd see your GYN.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My period came when my GYN appt. was supposed to be, so I didn't get to go. So I rescheduled, and the symptoms had gone away and hadn't come back by the time I went to see her.

I didn't think about bringing it up, because it had gone away, so I thought I'd just done something to cause it and it was over.

Isn't there anything I can do while I wait for another chance at an appointment? It's really uncomfortable, and if there's any chance I can get it to at least start clearing up, I'd like to take it.

Posts: 25 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble is that we don't know what it is. [Frown]

Now, applying cool yogurt as a poultice to your vulva can't hurt anything and may help with your symptoms (and you can even sleep with it overnight if you like, that's fine). I'd also be sure to keep the basics in check: only cotton undies, loose pants, only wash with a very gentle cleanser, avoid long baths (especially with anything like bubble bath), hydrate (and cranberry juice can help with a host of infections, not just UTIs). Also, watch your diet: cool it with sodas and caffeine, eat more clean, whole foods than anything refined or processed.

FYI, if your GP is available, you could likely also see them about this if it's a long wait for your GYN.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that.

Thank you for your help though. Really. This site is amazing, and so is everything you do for everyone who comes on.

I'll try to call my GYN sometime this week and see if they can squeeze in an emergency visit soon. I don't really have a GP right now.

Heather
Member # 3

Glad to have been of help. You may, FYI, even be able to just call in your symptoms to your GYN, so be sure when you talk to reception to explain why you're calling.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.