Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnancy
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giorgos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey ppl...am 16 years old...nd i just want to know when is the period which a woman has the highest risk of getting pregnant?
the sperm can live up to 3 days?
lets say her period is 7 days...and seven days after her period?

thanks guys

Posts: 19 | From: Cyprus | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't know when YOU are most fertile unless you strictly use and follow the fertility awareness method. Women don't all ovulate at the same time; personally, I ovulate around Day 22-24 versus 14, which would put me in huge trouble if I followed periodic abstinence guidelines.

So, until you have a good few months of charting your basal body temperature and cervical mucus, you must assume you can get pregnant any time you have sex, and use another form of birth control. On its own, we never recommend fertility awareness methods on their own to teens. [Smile]

(Sperm can live around 5 days, with the maximum being 7, by the way!)

[ 11-18-2007, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giorgos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(By the way i am a guy)
thanks for replying...
its only that i had intercourse with my girlfriend,using a condom, is there any chance for her of getting pregnant? just want to know when is the safest period to hav intercourse..

Posts: 19 | From: Cyprus | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms are pretty effective at around 98 % when used properly, which means when put on properly and also when used with enough water-based lube. If the condom did not break or slip off, then your partner did not have any risk of pregnancy from that.

If you both find that condoms aren't effective enough for you (some people are okay with using simply condoms as a birth control method while others are not, it's fine in both case), then you might want to consider coupling condom use with another birth control method, be it the fertility awareness method or another one such as the diaphragm, the pill, etc.

[ 11-18-2007, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh ok...em does pulling out 2-3 seconds before cuming help?
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

While wearing a condom ? No, I wouldn't suggest it since it increases the chances of the condom slipping off given you are in a hurry and you might forget about holding the base on the condom tightly when you withdraw.

The condom is intended to contain ejaculate so you can use it just for that. [Smile]

[ 11-18-2007, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh ok then..=) pulling out and inserting again,while wearing a condom, does not do any damage or sth to it right? and do condoms protect from sti?
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Well, condoms are intended to be able to resist some friction. But the less friction there is, the best it is so that's why using enough lube with a condom and also using a thinner condom might help as both decrease friction, hence condom breakage.

And yes, condoms protects against STIs. Thatt's the only birth control method there is that can also protect you and your partner against STIs. [Smile]

[ 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh okz then [Big Grin] haven't used any lube tho only saliva?! used an extra safe condom, if that makes any difference =D...they protect even if the the insert goes in to the condom's end? tip? rolling point? (don't really know how to say it =p) sorry for all the questions =) many thanks for replying btw [Smile]
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Not only is saliva not intended as a lube, but it also tends to dry out pretty fast too. Also, by putting some on a condom and then having intercourse after you're also spreading bacteria to your partner's vagina which could lead to a vaginal infection.

So, you really need to be using a water-based lube such as Astroglide, Liquid Silk, KY jelly, etc. with your condoms in order to decrease their chances of breaking. In addition, it also make things much more smoother so it's always a plus. [Smile]

Here, I'm linking to you an article that might be worth taking a look at if you haven't already :
Condom Basics: A user's manual

[ 11-18-2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

many thanks for that...understood how to use a condom properly...isn't it possible tho that the partner can produce..em fluids?! down there that are enough lube for the safly using condoms?
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, women do produce natural lurbrication, but the problem with that is that it can dry up rather quickly, and that leads to more friction. So using extra lube will make things extra safe, as well as make everything more fun, because the more slippery things are, the better they'll probably feel.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh okz then...i'll try to get some then =D btw i'm using durex extra safe condoms....does that mean that they are thicker?! because i noticed that thinner the better...but the brand naming these 'extra safe' it means that they are Extra safe..right?
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that by calling their condoms "extra safe", Durex is referring to the fact that those particular ones are spermicidal and a little thicker.

It's not like a thicker condom is automatically going to break or anything- latex IS pretty durable- but it is true that thinner ones are less likely to break overall.

However, I'd recommend against using spermicidal condoms. The amount of spermicide on the condom is so little that it wouldn't really do much should the condom break, and spermicide has been shown to cause irritation and infection (particularly for females).

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh...so which durex condoms do u recommend? i can only find durex condoms from the local stores

thank you

giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

need help guys because i got a bit confused on what i should use....why do brands call them 'extra safe' tho?! need recommendations on what i should use...=/
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this article: Your Map to the Condom Aisle

It explains all the different options out there so you can choose which ones work best for you! [Smile]

(They probably call it "extra safe" because they're marketing it to people who want the extra reassurance that they think spermicide and thicker latex provides. It's not that they're UNSAFE- you can go ahead and use those if you want, they'll work just fine- it's just that spermicide can be irritating to the skin.)

[ 11-20-2007, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

oh ok..i didn't seem to have any skin irritation..and my girlfriend hasn't told me anything about something like that...so i guess it's ok...i will probably try some other kinds of condoms and see what is best...just from your personal experience or from just knowing..which durex condoms are 'better'?
giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

have been researching and as far i can see from many review sites...the durex 'extra sensitive' condoms are rated ,if not the best, but "always" in their top 3..hmm does anyone know a 'method' an experiment on how to 'check' condoms breaking? (ok there is the trying them out method but i just want somwthing to convince me that they REALLY are safe...ofcourse when used properly
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

In terms of safety? All the latex condoms out there are pretty much the same, as long as they're stored properly and not past the expiration date. Durex is a good brand, so pretty much any one you pick from them will do the job. There's really no need to stress so much over picking a type of condom to use- if you're really finding it that tough, just start out with a standard lubricated plain condom, and see how that works for you.

(And do keep in mind that spermicide on condoms creates problems more for females than it does for males, so it may be a good idea to check with your girlfriend if she's okay with the risks of infection/irritation that spermicide use creates.)

You're more than welcome to try to break some condoms to see for yourself how strong latex is- there once was a thread around here (can't find it) where a volunteer described how she managed to pull a condom over her entire forearm before it finally snapped!

But honestly, if even just trusting condoms is this stressful for you, it may be wise to question whether you're really ready for sex in the first place.

Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

--------------------
Lea

giorgos
Neophyte
Member # 35830

ok...appriciate your help..well we alredy had sex as i said before...but just wanted to make sure that using other kinds of condoms is safe..which as far as you guys said they are [Smile]
and just its not kind of worth it to get in the risk of infections/irritation from spermicide..i'll get some condoms with regular lubrication then.. [Smile]
thanx again for the help [Big Grin]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.