Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » sex in water?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sex in water?
xNIIIIIIIICKx
Neophyte
Member # 35525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xNIIIIIIIICKx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there a good chance that if my girl and i were having sex in the pool and i pulled out before i came, could she get pregnant? We werent using a condom and she didn't have a bathing suit on.. Is it possible?
Posts: 5 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STI risks and pregnancy risks are no different in water than they are on dry land.

So yes, it's possible, though if you withdrew correctly -- well before ejaculating -- it's a far, far smaller risk per pregnancy than with a full ejaculation. The STI risk is still prevalent though, and either way, she may want to get emergency contraception.

And you'll want to, from now on, only have intercourse while using condoms.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xNIIIIIIIICKx
Neophyte
Member # 35525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xNIIIIIIIICKx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have both been tested for STI's and we dont have any.... and we dont really believe in condoms.
Posts: 5 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you believe in condoms? Perhaps we can take the information you provide and find another suitable method for you.

Withdrawal hardly even counts as a birth control method because it is so ineffective.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xNIIIIIIIICKx
Neophyte
Member # 35525

Well no one in my entire family history ever used one...... i just dont like the way they feel and they take some of the fun out of it and my gf doesnt like them either..
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you spoken to your girlfriend about using a different method of birth control, then? As long as you two are in a monogamous relationship and remain up-to-date on STI screenings, the STI protection isn't as much of an issue, obviously, but unless you two are ready to be parents or support a pregnancy, contraception IS an issue.

If your girlfriend is not comfortable with hormonal methods, there are other non-hormonal methods you two could look into as well. If you'd like more information on these, we'd be more than happy to help you. [Smile]

And you know, if you want to talk about "taking the fun" out of sex? Think about how NOT fun a pregnancy scare or an honest-to-goodness pregnancy would be. A well lubricated little piece of latex is no match to that, in my opinion.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can nearly guarantee you that if you're using lube with them, your girlfriend won't be able to tell the difference: there aren't the kind of nerve endings in most of the vagina TO tell the difference. What's more likely is that she's picked up on your attitude about them and senses that if she insisted, you'd refuse. As well, she simply may not realize what kind of pregnancy risks she's taking.

My parents didn't use them either, and used withdrawal instead... thus, here I am. But my parents didn't have the great condoms we have, or the lube we have, or the knowledge of how to use them so that they feel just fine. And given how many people have condoms slip off and never even know they did, we all know pretty well how little folks often feel them, especially when they're used correctly.

Even when I set aside STI risks -- which are substantial, and which condoms have done an awesome job of protecting me from -- unless I, too, want to become pregnant like my mother, if I'm not using another method of contraception, they're non-optional with a male partner. And when those partners have good condoms to use and know how to use them right, that's never a big deal or any kind of deal at all. [Smile]

And if you just can't deal...well, then it's easy enough to also just not have sex (or intercourse), especially if your partner doesn't want to be, or isn't ready to be, a Mom.

Too, you sure you've been tested for STIs? I ask because only around one in every eleven clinic visits are by males (and very, very few of them are 14 years old like you are), sexual health clinics aren't exactly a'plenty in your area, and many men assume they've been tested in regular, general exams when they haven't. If you haven't asked your doctor or sexual health clinic for a full STI screening, including blood and urine tests as well as a visual exam, and sometimes a urethral exam, you likely have not been screened for all STIs.

But either way? You can't "not believe" in pregnancy, eh? It happens, and it happens all the time. So, at the very least, if you two are going to be sexually active and aren't ready to be parents, but won't use condoms, it's past time to get another reliable birth control method going.

But in the off-chance that you're willing to upgrade your info and attitude about condoms -- especially since at some point, some savvy girl who cares a lot for her health is likely to insist you use one -- have a peek here:

Condom Basics: A User's Manual

Your Map to the Condom Aisle

[ 11-02-2007, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

(Also? I don't mean to pry, but I've noticed that you've been viewing a ton of articles about rape here. Is everything okay?)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

xNIIIIIIIICKx
Neophyte
Member # 35525

[ im actually 19, i usually dont enter accurate information on forums, apparently here, it matters.. sorry for the confusion.. i should have specified this accuratly.]
xxNick(again)xx
Neophyte
Member # 35531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxNick(again)xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i keep seeming to lose all of my passwords.. this is the only one i have stored and i go logged out of the account i posted this with. Yes everything is okay, except for a have learned a valuable lesson about staying logged out when viewing posts..
Posts: 3 | From: Milwakee | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxNick(again)xx
Neophyte
Member # 35531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxNick(again)xx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i keep seeming to lose all of my passwords.. this is the only one i have stored and i go logged out of the account i posted this with. Yes everything is okay. (btw, your flood protection had me banging my head on the desk [Wink] )
Posts: 3 | From: Milwakee | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.