Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Another Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Question
reonz
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 35313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I started the Nuva Ring, I looked it up online and it said I could start at anytime in my cycle, I just needed to wait up to seven days until it was effective.
But, I think I may have erred, as on the Nuva Ring website it says to insert it in the first five days of your cycle. The first day making it effective immediately, the second to fifth day making it need seven days to become effective.
I inserted it towards the END of my cycle.
and after eight days had unprotected sex.
Am I at risk?

Posts: 34 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reonz
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 35313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi...This has gone unanswered for a bit, and I know you guys are busy so if you got a chance could you take a look?
I put off thinking about this, but I have to take the ring out soon, and I'm getting nervous.

Posts: 34 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry this got overlooked, reonz!

I've just checked the full prescribing information for the NuvaRing, and it suggests a barrier method of birth control/abstinence for 7 days if the ring is started on days 2-5 of the cycle. This is consistent with the recommendations for birth control pills.

Like birth control pills, there's a method known as the "quick start" method that's becoming more popular in family planning clinics, in which the female starts the method as soon as she obtains it once her provider has confirmed she is not pregnant/at risk of becoming pregnant, regardless of where she is in her cycle. When started in this manner, 7 days of backup contraceptive use is required until the method has been used consistently for a full 7 days.

This is because studies have shown that even when women have active follicular development leading up to ovulation, 7 days of hormones is adequate to stop the process and make the follicles regress for most women.

.. so, the short answer is "You should have nothing to worry about". Be on alert for your next withdrawal bleed or phone your doctor if you'd like extra assurance. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.