Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Itching?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Itching?
lightmyfire
Neophyte
Member # 35506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightmyfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

First let me say that I love this site. Its been really helpful.

But onto more pressing matters...

Both I and my boyfriend are virgins, and we haven't done much sexually. Mostly its been dry sex, and I've stimulated him manually once or twice, but thats about it.

About a week or so ago, I started getting itchy in the area just under my pubic mound along the hairline. Its happened a few other times, usually when I wear a pantiliner with a tampon during my period. I always assumed it was from chafing because when I have a tampon in my vulva is usually pretty dry. So this time I figured since we'd been having dry sex, maybe the friction of having the clothes on was causing similar chafing? But now I'm not so sure.

Now, my labia don't itch, and neither does my vagina. I've had no pain except for in the area where I decided to scratch at the itch, and I think thats just because I scratched a little too much and maybe injured the skin. There are no bumps, or lumps. I've had no trouble with urination either, and for the most part no unusual discharge. The only thing I can think of is two days last week when I went to shower, a little of my discharge was pale yellowish instead of white or clear, but I don't think it smelled foul, and it wasn't a weird texture. Other things I've noticed is that the area around my labia is a light pink, and the left side of my labia seems a little swollen in comparison to the right, but I don't know if that's how things were before because I don't check myself out that much.

So what could this be and what should I do to take care of it?

I've used some Jergen's ultra-moisturizing healing lotion on it, and it seems to help quite a bit, at least until the next time I wipe myself and accidentally hit the area (again, I sort of scratched some skin open I think...)

Could it just be dry skin and chafing?

I DO have my first GYN appointment next week, and I'm planning on asking her about it if it persists, but if there's any way to start clearing things up now or just getting past the discomfort, I'd like to try.

Posts: 25 | From: VA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first of all, don't put lotions not designed for the genitals on genital tissue: it's ultimately only going to irriate it more, and if it winds up inside your vagina (which tends to happen with liquids you put around the vaginal opening), you may wind up with a vaginal imbalance or infection.

Next time, if you have genital irritation, you can use a little natural aloe, a lubricant designed for genitals, or just leave things be and let them heal.

As well, if you often experience irritation from the pantiliners and tampons you may want to consider being kinder to your genitals to your period. The next best choice would be to use all cotton tampons, only, or cotton pads, only, but you could be even sweeter to your girly bits by opting for washable pads or a Divacup. Tampons absorb flow, so they do rob the vagina of moisture (and can also increase cramps).

Since this sounds like a pretty mild issue, I'd just wait until you see your gynecologist. Should the symptoms get worse, see if she can't see you earlier, but otherwise, just fill her in when you get there.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.