Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Sex and yeast infections and other issues they're causing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex and yeast infections and other issues they're causing
fleurdelys
Neophyte
Member # 35232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fleurdelys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having problems with a yeast infection recently and I just don't know what to do anymore.

It all started when me and my bf decided we wanted to start having sex, last May. I didn't have a gynecologist (and I still don't, as my mother's gyn doesn't take new patients) so I went to a youth clinic to get the birth control pill. My partner and I decided to wait until after my second check-up before having sex, so the doctor there didn't perform a gynecological exam on me. Everything seemed fine at that point.

We were going to have sex in July, a bit after my birthday. He tried to penetrate me but it was hurting me so I told him to stop. We tried a couple more times that same night, but the same thing just kept happenning, so we gave up on that and gave eachother pleasure in other ways.

About a week or two later, I got sick. I got really constipated without really realising it and it was making my abdomen hurt like crazy so I went to see the doctor for it. I had to do a Fleet enema to get rid of all the feces in my intestines. The day after I took the enema, It started to itch and burn in and around my vagina and I suspected it was a yeast infection, but since I had never had any before, I had to go to the doctor to make sure.

I was a bit reluctant to go to the clinic again so soon, but in the end, I did go, and after the doc examined my vulva, he determined that a yeast infection was indeed what I had. He gave me this single-dose pill that was supposed to make it go away (I forgot what it's called. . .) and told me that if it wasn't gone after three days, to take another dose of it. I was relieved when comming out of the clinic, but that didn't last long.

Actually this is where it started to get bad. I took the pill he prescribed, and since it hadn't completely cleared up after the 3rd day, took the second dose. It seemed to have dissapeared for a couple of days, but the day before my period, the annoying fungus came raging back.

I went to the doctor again, and he prescribed me the same friggin medication. . . this time 5 renewals of it. The yeast infection seems to have become chronic since. I take the pill, after a few days, the symptoms seem to go away, and then they come back just a couple days later. It's been like this for about a month and a half now. . . and I'm dunno if I really want to go see that same doctor again after I'm out of refills. I'm afraid that he'll just prescribe me more, when to me it seems that that medication just isn't working for me.

Through all this, my mom was (and still is) completely convinced that I have this because I had Candida Albicans in my intestines, and I auto-contaminated myself when I did that enema. And she keeps telling me to take all sorts of natural and homeopathic remedies, and vitamins and whatnot, which really bug me because I don't believe in homeopathy, and she isn't qualified for knowing what kind of natural remedies I should take.

My father, on the other hand, blames EVERYTHING on the birth control pill. Not just the yeast infection, but any other problem I have, be it physical or emotional. Now I know that the pill can cause a slight pH imbalance, and in some woman it makes them have yeast infections before their periods. I asked the doctor who's treating my yeast infection about it, and he said that it does, but very slightly.

As far as my boyfriend goes, the infection is bringing me issues there too. Of course, I can't have sex or anything while I have this. Sometimes we still do clitoral stimulation with fingers, especially on days when the infection is "going away", but I'm not sure if it's really a good idea. Also, he keeps telling me that as soon as the thing clears up, we'd try having sex again, but every time he says that it discourages me.

I'm afraid that if we try to have sex again, the same thing will happen, and it'll hurt me too much. I've told him about this, but it seems that to him the only barrier to us two losing our virginity is that infection. Sometimes I feel like I'm the one who's mentally making the infection stay because I want to delay having sex.

This post is getting pretty long. I dunno, I just wanted to talk about it, because I don't feel comfortable talking about it with my real-life friends. Any advice would be appreciated, because really I don't know what to do anymore, as that infection is affecting me in a lot more than the physical level.

I think maybe I should go see another doctor or nurse or something, or try to find myself a gynecologist, but I don't know where to start. . . or if I'd be able to tell them this whole story in their cabinet, because I generally get really nervous around doctors.

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, welcome to Scarleteen! Before we get further into what you're dealing with, could you kindly clarify if you used condoms during your attempts at intercourse, and if not, if the doctor did a full infection screen including STIs? Feeling ill and having abdominal cramps paired with a change in vaginal discharge is a pretty strong indicator of such an infection if you've been at risk.

Your mother is right on one point; everybody has candida in the gut, as well as in the vagina. Women often suffer from vaginal yeast infections when candida overgrows in the gut. However, even systemic candida infections are treated with fluconazole/Diflucan, which it sounds like you got more than an adequate dose of. If this were yeast it should have been Long Gone by now; if it isn't, it may indicate another problem or a very severe case.

Your best bet here would really be to get into a doctor; it sounds as if you had vaginal pain even prior to having intercourse, which may indicate (along with everything else) chronic trouble that really shouldn't be allowed to go on.

One last thing?

I'm afraid that if we try to have sex again, the same thing will happen, and it'll hurt me too much. I've told him about this, but it seems that to him the only barrier to us two losing our virginity is that infection. Sometimes I feel like I'm the one who's mentally making the infection stay because I want to delay having sex.

That sort of negativity concerns me. I mean, rightly, you don't want intercourse because of your physical issues, but when you start to suspect that you're putting up this sort of wall to avoid sex, it is REALLY worth looking into if this is something worth considering right now.

At any rate, you'll want to lay off any sort of penetration until you get seen by a doctor; continuing to attempt penetration when it is painful can lead to more complicated psychosexual issues that can be harder to treat than a mere infection. Clitoral or external stimulation is completely safe, just as long as both of you make sure to wash up between touching one another, just in case this is a transmittable infection. [Smile]

[ 09-15-2007, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fleurdelys
Neophyte
Member # 35232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fleurdelys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we used condoms. I wouldn't dare try to have sex without them. I didn't get any STI exam though, like I said, they didn't examine me when I went for birth control because I hadn't had sex yet, and my partner was also a virgin (as in, never even kissed anyone before me)

I didn't have any sort of vaginal pain before attempting intercourse. I was always okay with tampons, and I often penetrated myself with one or two fingers when I masturbate without any discomfort. . . but that's nowhere as thick as a penis.

As for attempting sex again. . . right now I just want to delay it because the pain is scairing me. I really wanted to have sex before all this started hapenning, but now, every time I think about it it makes me cry. I kind of feel like I "failed" at my first time, and am under the impression that even if my current physical condition goes away, the same pain would happen if I attempted intercourse again. It just makes me cry everytime I think about it.

But the thing is, I don't know where to go for health services. I don't really feel like going to see that same doctor I've been seeing because I feel like he's just going to prescribe me the same thing again and again. My father has looked around for a gynecologist, but the closest appointment I can get is in like, two months.

[ 09-15-2007, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: fleurdelys ]

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may not need a gynecologist for this ... And if you do, a referral from a GP may get you in faster than if you tried without it.

Where in Canada are you? I may be able to find something in your area if you give me your city ...

If you're not comfortable w/ that, you can look online or in the phonebook yourself. Contact your local health unit and they should be able to help you. I think most of the health units in Ontario have some sort of sexual healthcare clinic. Testing and counseling are covered by OHIP, and things like birth control and condoms are usually at reduced cost.

I would really suggest that you DO delay attempting intercourse again. You need time to get this painful intercourse thing sorted out. You also need to set some boundaries and have the confidence to express those boundaries. It's okay for you to be scared and not want to have sex right now. You don't need a reason (such as the infection or it being painful) to not want to have sex, and you deserve a partner who is not going to pressure you into doing something you're not 100% comfortable in doing.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fleurdelys
Neophyte
Member # 35232

I'm not comfortable with posting the exact city where I live online (and I would PM you but I can't) But it's around in the Montreal area.

Do you think it would help if I went to see the nurse at my college?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can certainly ask if your college provides sexual healthcare services: many do.

Planned Parenthood Canada also has outreach in Quebec: http://www.ppfc.ca/ppfc/ppfcOrgview.asp?key=42

You can email that info address to find out where you can find services. But again, you could also see your GP, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.