Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » birth control pills & breast cancer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control pills & breast cancer?
BeachGurl
Neophyte
Member # 34584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading something online about birth control pills, and it said that if you take them you are at increased risk for breast cancer. I was wondering if this is really true, because the website seemed really anti-bcp's for whatever reason. Just curious! Thanks.

--------------------
<3

Posts: 18 | From: NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im on birth control myself and I have the same worry!

But I just tell myself to think about it rationally, and look at the figures.

I was told by my doctor that there is evidenc of an increased risk of breast cancer in women taking the pill for over 5 years, but its actually only a very small percentage increase. Also, the pill gives you protection from Ovarian and Cervical cancers, and that can continue for up to 25 years after you've stopped taking it.

So really I just think you have to look at it that way. Thats my personal approach anyway, given the facts.

xxx

Posts: 83 | From: at my desk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeachGurl
Neophyte
Member # 34584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too heard it was a small risk, but I didn't know you have to be on it for over 5 years for the risk to be higher. I have only been on it for a few months so far.

Your approach sounds rational =)

I guess with ANY medication...there are always going to be risks/side effects to go along with benefits!

Thanks for your reply!

--------------------
<3

Posts: 18 | From: NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the one I'm thinking about (the domain name contains "pill" and "truth") it's run by a very bigoted, anti-choice male who doesn't cite his facts.

Alice agrees that use of OC's has none or little effects on breast cancer, and suggests that more women are diagnosed simply because they receive more careful monitoring than women using other contraceptive methods.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.