Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » why can't i do it..:(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why can't i do it..:(
Live_Laugh_Love
Activist
Member # 34710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Live_Laugh_Love     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright so..I'm 20 and, try as I might, I can't seem to masturbate. I've tried many times, and nothing feels good in the least bit. Could it be that mentally, I'm not letting myself get into it? Or, (and this might sound stupid), I ride horses a lot...could all that friction have caused "numbness"? I can't imagine that it would, considering how many women ride horses and I don't think that THAT many women would have that issue. Any advice as so something that might be able to help ease my mind about it? I mean...if a 6 year old can do it, why can't I? lol

--------------------
:)

Posts: 49 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a pretty handy Scarleteen article on masturbation to start with. [Smile]
Is Masturbation Ok? (Yep)

You might find this one useful, too.
Sexual Response & Orgasm: A User's Guide

It is possible that you could have some kind of mental block about masturbating, especially if you were reared with sexual shaming (ie: Masturbation is wrong and sinful!)

However, if it's physically uncomfortable, that's probably a sign that you just need to get to know your body better and find out what works for you. For example, if you've just been encorporating clitoral stimulation (which some women don't find to be comfortable) and it's not working out then try exploring different areas of your body. Your sexuality and sexual sensations aren't situated entirely in your genitals, but in your whole body.

I know personally I also kind of have a problem with "numbness" and I know that if I'm not engaging my whole body and my mind, masturbation's just not going to feel all that great to me.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just to clarify, riding horses would not cause any loss of sensation in your genitals. It's far more likely that some of the things Gwaihir mentioned are the source of your troubles.)

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennifer0246
Neophyte
Member # 32726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennifer0246     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's worth pointing out that you can masturbate -- masturbation is the action of self-stimulation in a sexual way. Orgasm from masturbation seems to be what you're concerned isn't happening for you, and for most people that's a matter of comfort and learning what feels good to your body. Experiment and have fun, it'll come in time (and in the meantime, it's a good way to spend some quality time with yourself) [Smile]

--------------------
http://jennifer0246.livejournal.com/

moderator, maintainer, and women's health geek @ vaginapagina.com

Posts: 16 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.