Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Can I get my second Gardasil shot early?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can I get my second Gardasil shot early?
Yasmin
Activist
Member # 32631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm due for my second shot on the Fourth of July, but we're going out of town to barbeque (sp?) with some family on that day.

Would it make a major difference if I got it the day before, or maybe even a day or two later?

I don't have an appointment, because my doctor said I could just walk in on that day and get it done.

[ 07-01-2007, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Yasmin ]

Posts: 97 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen any information that suggests a day or two in either direction would make any sort of difference.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From personal experience, I found that you cannot get remaining shots early. Yes, they wouldn't let me get the vaccine one day short of exactly 6 weeks. Didn't understand the reasoning behind it...but it happened.

Could very well be diffrent based on clinic or country. I'd for sure call ahead and mention the diffrence in days.

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cha Cha N.
Activist
Member # 31203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cha Cha N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fine to get it a few days later. I was never available right on the day I had to get my next one [Smile]
Posts: 62 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my doctor told me its fine to get it a bit later but not earlier.

I have another question about gardasil. Does being sexually active affect the effectiveness of the shot?

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. But, the Gardasil shot doesn't treat someone who's already infected with a strain of HPV.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not allowed to get my second one AT ALL early, even though I was going to be at the doctor a few days before I was due to have my physical. They said it's fine to get it later but not earlier. (I'm getting my 3rd shot about a month late because I'm going to be studying abroad and they said it was fine- I checked before I started the series).

Also, the Gardisil shot can still be helpful for those who have a strain of HPV because it is effective for 4 strains of HPV, so it can still protect against the other types.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.