Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » day after pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: day after pill
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend was telling me that she wanted to get some day after pills, because she doesn't like having to take birth control pills every day. So her idea was to take a day after pill after having sex (even if her boyfriend uses a condom- he always does, they use both methods), every time. I told her that was NOT a good idea because it'd be a chemical bomb to her body; but I wasn't able to explain in full detail what would happen to her if she took day after pills on a regular basis and not just in emergency cases. Can anyone explain?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She'd feel like she had the flu everytime after, sometimes for as long as a week. Has she never used it before?

She'd probably also go broke: the MAP is a great thing, but it's really spendy. In addition, it's not as effective as a daily pill.

You might instead suggest to her -- if she just doesn't feel safe enough with condoms alone, which when used properly, really are very effective -- she asks her doctor about other alternatives that aren't a dialy drag, like the ring, patch or shot.

Just to be clear, though, to date, there's no known long-term damage of using the MAP the way she says she wants to, save that feasibly, the long-term effects and short-term effects would be greater than those with the pill, though the same sort of effects.

But still? Not the best idea ever, and like I said, while I absolutely think EC is a wonderful, wonderful thing, I can't even imagine taking it every time after sex, or wanting to take it unless the situation really called for it, because it really does tend to make one feel pretty unpleasant for a little while, not to mention throwing menses totally off, so that your sanity per pregnancy worries would be pretty iffy.

[ 06-16-2007, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we don't have day after pills in this country; Catholic Church has a very high influence, and most people here think it's abortion. My friend is going to the U.S. soon, so she thought she'd get some while she was there. I don't think she could have gotten them anyway, because they're prescription only, right?

About the other things, that sounds like a good idea [Smile] I'll talk to her about it.

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmmieMae
Neophyte
Member # 34276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmmieMae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the morning after pills aren't prescription if she is 18 or older. If you are 18 or older you can go to any pharmacy and get them, but you have to have proof (id or something) that you are 18. If you aren't 18, then you need a prescription or a parent.
BUT..i agree with the others that it might not be a good thing for her to use this pill on a regular basis as regular birth control.

Posts: 16 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abstractbubble
Neophyte
Member # 34351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abstractbubble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I know, every time you use the morning after pill, it will be less effective the next time you need to use it. Point being that it is not a good idea to use it every time after sex unless you see it as an absolute necessity.

Also, concering the prescription and having to be 18. My boyfriend went in to buy me a morning after pill once, didn't have my ID, and they still sold it to him, but I have had friends go in and they said they did card them on the issue.

Posts: 11 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually not true: EC is not less effective after using it once, twice, three times (whatever) before, the same way that daily BC pills don't become less effective over time.

(FYI, if Nailo's friend came to the US, over 18, she could acquire it over-the-counter, but unless she was willing to go pharmacy to pharmacy, she couldn't exactly stock up.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention that stocking up would be mighty expensive!
Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abstractbubble
Neophyte
Member # 34351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abstractbubble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
That's actually not true: EC is not less effective after using it once, twice, three times (whatever) before, the same way that daily BC pills don't become less effective over time.

Wow.. that is actually really good to know and quite contradictory to what I've been told by my pharamacy over here. Thanks!
Posts: 11 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

To date (and just rechecked for you) the FDA has stated that they do not know if this is the case over time, but there is nothing to show it would be so.

Plus, it's a bit of a mathematical anomoly: having poked around a bit, and found a few sites stating this (most of which were either opposing EC outright, or VERY begrudgingly supporting it), were stating rates of cumulative pregnancy likliehood with repeated EC use that in a generous handful of uses, would set up EC to be so ineffective as to nearly be a fertility drug, if you get me. It's logically fallacious.

The Princeton site on EC, as well, which is the most credible there is, does not state any reduction in efficiacy with repeated use.

So, not sure if you're feeling proactive, but if you are, next time you're at your pharmacy, you may want to suggest they review their information on EC for their patient's sake.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

abstractbubble
Neophyte
Member # 34351

Haha, well I would rather not have to go back to buy that again, and that isn't where I buy my other medications. However, I may accompany one of my friends in there next time she picks up some of her pills and talk to them a bit more about it.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.