Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Thinner condoms the best or no ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thinner condoms the best or no ?
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so we had a text to read at school which is about condoms and that is a reliable source, it's a recent medical magazine intended especially for people working in the health field.

I've always heard that the thinner the condom is, the less likely it is to break because of the less friction it create.

But yet it says in that article that thin condoms have to be avoided as much as possible on first time intercourse since it highers the risk of condom breaking. And that therefore, non-thinner condoms would be best for that specific situation.

So I'm mostly like what are they talking about ? I just don't get it. Which is the right answer there ? Can you help me shed some light on this ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, thinner is better. They provide more sensation and less likely to break because of friction. A thicker condom has more material rubbing against a surface, which equals more friction. I know we had a table around here somewhere comparing different brands, thickness, and average failure rates. I'll try to find it for you.

For first intercourse, though, regardless of whether you have a "thicker" condom (we're talking thicker by a few millimeters) or a thin one, it's more important that you take it slow, use plenty of condom-safe (meaning water or silicone based, NOT oil-based) lube, and stop if things are just not comfortable.

Often, the lack of lube contributes much more to whether it breaks rather than how thin the condom is. If things start to feel a bit dry, slow down and add more lube. This will make it feel much better and have the benefit of reducing the chances the condom will break.

A good brand of thin, very reliable condoms is Kimono Microthins. Though they do cost more than your run of the mill Trojans, you definitely get what you pay for. [Smile]

[ 05-25-2007, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know we had a table around here somewhere comparing different brands, thickness, and average failure rates. I'll try to find it for you.
Faifai, I'm gonna spare you time, you don't have to find it for me.(I think I know what you are refering to.) Some people here needs help far more than I do.

And after all, I just wanted to make sure my assumptions were right and they were. So thanks for your answer ! [Smile]

And, hi btw. [Smile]

[ 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Durex "Extra Safe" condoms say on the back of the packet that that particular condom is slightly thicker for extra reassurance. You cant actually really tell if you compare it with a normal condom (trust me, Ive looked lol), but it says extra safe, so maybe slightly thicker ones arent too bad.

But Ive been told that gernerally thinner ones are better, as for the reasons already stated.

Posts: 83 | From: at my desk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.