Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pill problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill problems
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one specific question about the pill and another more general one...

I started a new brand of pills because I'm in the UK and they didn't have the American brand I was using. I forgot to take the pill one day because my sleep schedule was totally off, so the next night I took two like I was supposed to.
But then a day later my period started (really heavily) in the morning.

So should I continue following the pill pack or let this be the break? I'm supposed to have 8 days left of pills.

My partner and I are dutifully using condoms so I am not worried about a pregnancy risk (right now). But we talked about getting screened so we could skip condoms.

Initially I didn't like using them, never had in my previous relationship, but now I have experienced my stress drop because it's not just me responsible for preventing a pregnancy.

When we had the conversation my whole abortion experience just flashed through my head and I felt terrified. I didn't expect it.

So anyway we are getting screened so that if we feel better about the risk later on, we can go ahead.

But my question is besides condoms, what else can I use as a second birth control method since I don't trust myself 100% taking the pill, given this mess-up and the pregnancy I had a few months ago?

Thanks!

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would continue the pills as directed. If you're switching from a high-dose pill to a low-dose pill, I wouldn't be surprised if you're simply having a bit of a withdrawal bleed. Even so, some bleeding is still common when switching pill brands/types. As long as it's not painful or absurdly heavy, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Good for you for getting screened before going without latex barriers! [Smile] The pill, if used perfectly, is 99% effective, so you could rely on it alone for protection if you want. If you want to double up with something, why not try a diaphragm?

[Edit: and just to add, I would wait until you've finished this first cycle of your new pill before relying on it alone for anything!]

[ 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're worried about being able to take the pill on time, there are a couple things you can try if you'd like to remain on a hormonal method:

-Set an alarm, either on a watch or phone, to take your pill by each day. That way you'll have something to remind you to take it.

-Talk to your gynecologist about using the Ring - it's a totally simple method, and it can be a bit easier on your body because the hormones are not absorbed straight into your blood stream like when you take the pill. And unlike the pill, which you need to take at the same time every day, with the Ring you only need to change it every month.

And like Lea said, if you want to ditch hormonal methods entirely or use something other than condoms as a paired method, you can also talk to your gynecologist about pairing a diaphragm or cervical cap with condom use. It's also recomended for safer sex kits that you pick up a dose of Emergency Contraception, so you have it ahead of time just in case you need to use it in the future.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.