Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is it wierd?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it wierd?
illusionst
Neophyte
Member # 28651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illusionst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hokay, this has been bothering me for quite some time. Whenever i masturbate, i usually get to what i think is an orgasm. I don't masturbate with my clitoris, and when i reach orgasm i feel reallt guilty, and twitchy. Is it normal? I get this thing inm y head where i think about all the people that would be dissapointed if they knew i did masturbate. ):

--------------------
Who can take the sunrise, sprinkle it with dew?

Posts: 19 | From: Ohio | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aniagrace
Neophyte
Member # 33198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aniagrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to feel this way as well. I would never directly touch myself. I would always masturbate through my panties or by rubbing against a pillow. I was taught that touching yourself was dirty and wrong (same for basically any sexual act) and until recently I believed it. It was largely tied into my religious beliefs and since I have started questioning them I no longer feel quite so guilty after I masturbate and I also find that I am doing it much more often.

If you really think about it though do you really think that the people who truly love and care about you would be all that disappointed in you? You are taking care of your sexual needs in a safe way. I am sure my mom would have conniptions if she caught me masturbating but I know she would get over it and she would realize that it is much safer for me to masturbate than to have sex.

I am very paranoid about being caught though. I only do it at night when everyone else is asleep or during the day when I know for sure that I will have the house to myself for long enough and even then I do it in my bedroom with the door locked. When I don't have the house to myself but I feel the urge to masturbate I normally do it in the shower with the bathroom door locked.

I really hope that you can get over feeling guilty though. It is very liberating and satisfying to get past those feelings and to start being able to really take pleasure in the experience instead of just doing it when you feel you just have to have release.

Posts: 12 | From: United States of America | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aniagrace made some good points. However, there isn't anything dangerous, persay, about sex, if it is done properly with someone you love and trust, and if you take the measures you need to to protect yourself.

Masturbation is a healthy and normal thing. People young and old do it, so there isn't anything to be ashamed of. I'd be hard pressed to find someone who had never masturbated in their life; so all those people who you think would be disappointed probably masturbate, or have masturbated too.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a book on masturbation, and it claims that 97% of women have masturbated at least once by age 21.

It took me 20 years to masturbate for the first time, for similar reasons as you- I felt ashamed, and mostly grossed out. Fortunately, I've since grown out of that. While I'm no expert in this area, and my technique definitely needs some work, I'm glad I finally got over my inhibitions and gave it a shot. My first experience with it was actually with a partner. He guided one of my hands towards my vagina region, and I took it from there. I think that sort of positive encouragement really was what did the trick, for me. If you are seeing someone, perhaps try something like that? May not be the best way to get started, but it worked for me!

I also recommend reading some masturbation-positive material. Tickle Your Fancy, by Sadie Allison, is the book with that statistic I quoted earlier. Not only does that book state how good for you masturbation can be, it also describes different techniques, in case you (like me) are totally clueless as to what to do once you get your hands down there. Cunt, by Inga Muscio, is another book that has a fair bit of material dedicated to masturbation. The author is a strong advocate of self-love, and while the book contains some pretty heavy feminist content that even I don't fully agree with, at times, the way the author encourages you to love what's between your legs makes this another great read.

And good luck with this, seriously. I hope you're able to get over your inhibitions towards masturbation, because once you do... wow. Is it ever a wonderful thing!

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.