Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Best Condoms / Lubrication.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Condoms / Lubrication.
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve searched the forums and tried to make sense of it all. Basically, I did find out that Trojans are pretty much the worst, which surprises me because they are the most advertised.

Now, when my boyfriend and I started having sex a year and a half ago, I just assumed he knew what he was doing buying condoms. We stopped having sex after a couple of pregnancy scares, and now that I`m on BC pills, I think I`ll feel better about having sex. Anyways, he told me just the other day that he bought his condoms from gas stations, because he was embarassed about buying them from places such as Wal-Mart. I told him I would go with him, because I don`t see it as that big of a deal if someone happens to see me picking up a box of condoms and lube from the store. Speaking of that, is it bad to buy from Wal Mart? Or is there a way I could tell how long they had been setting on the shelf?

I`d like some feedback about the best condom brands, I noticed a lot of people bragging about the Kimono condoms, I`ve never heard of those, and I hope I can find them around here if it turns out those are the BEST. I can`t order online because I have no credit card, and I don`t know anyone who does have one.

So, I`m looking for just some good ole condoms and information about them, why you like them more, why you don`t like a certain brand, etc.
Same goes for lubrication.

Also, does it really matter about the size of the condom? Or about those little extra things they have on them, such as ridges.. do those compromise effectiveness, such as making them maybe a tad bit more likely to tear? What about thinner condoms vs. thicker? Which is better for that route?..

Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd avoid the gas station condoms, simply because those tend to sit in machines for a reeeeally long time and be of cheap quality. [Razz]

Wal-Mart would be just fine though, as would any drugstore. You can check the expiry date if you're unsure.

I've never tried Kimono condoms myself, but I've heard lots of good things about them! However, it seems they can be hard to find and more expensive.

Personally, I swear by Durex brands and Astroglide, as do a lot of other people here. They're so widely available and affordable too- you should have no trouble finding them.

Things like ridges and bumps really make no HUGE difference- some people say it feels different, others don't notice anything- but they don't compromise effectiveness. Thin condoms are actually LESS likely to break, since they reduce friction compared to thicker ones! (How awesome is that?) Condoms will be fine for everyone in terms of length- some men do find that the ring at the base is too tight, but most condoms will serve you and your partner just fine, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The only big warnings I'd give you about shopping for condoms and lube is to avoid spermicide, and to avoid anything with a warming agent (like that KY Warming stuff). Both can cause a lot of irritation and simply aren't worth the trouble.

[ 04-19-2007, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner and I prefer Beyond Seven, which last I checked, were rated very high in terms of sensitivity and protection. They're very thin, and they tend to not break. (With proper condom-care, of course.)

I have only found these in an Albertsons near one of our local military bases, and in tiny 3-packs at my local health food store. You can find em, but it seems to be mostly hit and miss.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, when it comes to sensation, what condoms are the "best" depends on the wearer's preference.

In other words, some guys prefer a thicker condom to a thinner: some prefer those with texture to those without. While the length of most condoms is pretty much the same, the ring (base) size is what tends to vary, so different guys, by virtue of being different sizes, will have different brands and types that feel and fit best in that regard.

So, a good idea when a male partner doesn't know yet what he likes is to try and get something of an assortment. Durex makes assortment packs for their varieties, and online condom vendors often sell mixed bags of all different brands or types.

(FYI, Beyond Seven and Kimono -- and those are the two I've personally generally gotten raves from when men use my condom stash -- do tend to have smaller ring sizes, so for wider penises, they may not be the best choice.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also look into trying female condoms. The nice thing about those is that they can be inserted well before things start to heat up, so you don't need to "stop" anything in order to put a male condom on. They tend to be more expensive than male condoms, but if you're hunting around for what works best for you and your partner, perhaps give this option a try.

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flossy
Activist
Member # 32169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flossy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the info. [Smile]
Posts: 74 | From: TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.