Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Skipping periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skipping periods
BlueEyedBeauty
Activist
Member # 33519

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueEyedBeauty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on the birth control pill for a little more than six months and I did some reading and I know you can skip an occasional period, but what if I wanted to skip them regularly and not take the placebo pills, but jump to the next pack? Is that safe, do I need to change pills? I know that this one girl I knew Sophomore year said she didnt get her period because she took birth control, so I was wondering if I could do it too.
Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With some brands of the birth control pill it is possible to skip a period by just not taking the placebo pills and instead taking two packs back to back. However, doing this on a regular basis is not recommended. And even just doing it once is a bit of a gamble, as there's a good chance you'll end up spotting for the entire cycle.

If you want to give it a try, regardless, the best thing to do is to give your gyn a call and and ask them if it's possible with your prescription, and whether they think it's okay for you to do.

[ 04-19-2007, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Depo-Provera (aka, The Shot), and that method does, in fact, stop your period. There will be some spotting around when you would usually get your period for the first few months, but after that? Let's just say that in September, I bought myself a box of really light absorbency tampons. It was a box of 20, and I've still got 7 left.

If skipping your period is something you want on a more permanent level (as in, you want to not have a period for a year, as opposed to skipping it one month, and then having it the next), then perhaps look into Depo further, and talk to your doctor about it.

As a university student, I have to say... the money I've saved on tampons, alone, is well worth it. [Smile]

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, it is NOT yet advised, even by menstrual suppression proponents, that adolescents under 18 regularly skip periods.

NO long-term tests have been done with this population, and given the developmental issues specific to young women (especially big risks like bone mass loss, which has been shown to be a problem w/teens and Depo, as well as other risks), if and when long-term tests are ever donw with younger women, it's likely it'll be found to be problematic for long-term health.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather - how does that affect things like Seasonale, which (if I remember correctly) is the pill that gives you only four periods a year? I was under the impression that Seasonale has been generally approved, even though the four-a-year is pretty much acknowledged as the bare minimum to be safe. Is that not true? Like, are there significant risks if you take Seasonale? (I'm thinking of switching to it, is the main reason I'm asking. Although I am currently 18, so does that change the answer at all?)

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the longest study for women of any age for Seasonale has been a two-year-study. It has been approaved, but it's women who are usuing it have not been observed and followed-up with for a period of greater than two years at this time.

So, personally, it's still not something as an advocate for women's health I'd be comfortable promoting, but given you're not a younger adolescent, and most of your development is done, I'd say that when making up your mind on this, there's likely no reasons to have concerns about screwing up adolescent development, and in your research to make up your mind, you should consider yourself an adult woman.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.