Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » anal sex and UTI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anal sex and UTI?
steve07
Neophyte
Member # 33271

Icon 5 posted      Profile for steve07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm a guy who just got diasgnosed with a UTI (which is rare for men). I've been reading online, and it says its (usually or always?) from contact with E. Coli (and E. Coli is found in feces). My question is this: Does "contact" mean that I got E. Coli on my penis, which then got into my bladder/urethra. Or does it mean I injested it through my mouth, which then got into my bladder?

Reason being:
My girlfriend and I have a fair amount of anal sex. I have had anal sex with other girls in the past, but she is the first one who seems to REALLY like it and actually asks for it, so I have far more anal sex now than I have ever in the past.

In regards to protection, I've always taken the same policy on anal sex is I had with sex. If we were in a long-term monogamous relationship and both tested for STDs, and she's on the pill, we wouldn't use condoms. Otherwise, yes. I don't use condoms with my current girlfriend.

So basically...did I probably get this UTI from anal sex? If so, it seems I need to be more educated about anal sex. Any advice from anyone? Are you supposed to ALWAYS use a condom during anal sex? Is this a common problem with anal sex? Is there anything I (my girlfriend) can do to reduce the chances (such as an enema)??

Thanks

Posts: 1 | From: austin, tx | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms are ALWAYS a must for anal sex - there are a lot of bacteria present in the rectum which cause no harm there, but that can cause problems in other areas of the body (such as the urinary tract). So, condoms need to be used every single time. There's no need for an enema; if unprotected anal sex was indeed the cause of your UTI, then using condoms from now on should prevent you from getting another infection.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rebelkitten
Neophyte
Member # 33130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rebelkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it is posted anywhere else on this site, but what are symptoms of a UTI when it comes to guys?
My boyfriend never uses a condom during anal sex, he is completely willing, but I hate it! He has complained before that it stings when he urinates, but it only lasts for a week, then goes away. Can a UTI clear up on its own?

Posts: 4 | From: Alabama | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same symptoms as in women, generally: burning or painful urination, feeling the need to urinate frequently but having only a few drops come out.

It sounds like your boyfriend may be dealing with a mild UTI - just because symptoms disappear does NOT mean the infection is gone, and it would be a good idea for him to get this checked out by a doctor. Too, I can't emphasize enough how incredibly important it is to use a condom and plenty of condom-safe lube for anal sex - it's one of the riskiest sexual activities in terms of infection, and if you're not using any sort of birth control, it can also pose pregnancy risks.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyene
Neophyte
Member # 33942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheyene     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend had the same thing. He went to a urologist who prescribed antibiotics. He told him we should be using a condom for anal sex, but if we didn't that he should wash off and urinate afterward.

He said if we didn't use a condom that he could get a reproductive tract infection. Some of these could leave him sterile.

I'm not saying we use a condom every time now, but we do most of the time. My boyfriend always follows the doctor's advice when we don't. He hasn't had any more problems.

Posts: 1 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.