Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Dryness and sensitivity to lubricants

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dryness and sensitivity to lubricants
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on a couple medications that have vaginal dryness as a side effect. I have other issues that make sex painful, but until I can solve this one, I find it hard to work on the others! It seems every lube I use, stings! Like putting alcohol on an open sore.. not fun. Now I'm scared to try anything. After searching the archives, I found someone mentioned they are sensitive to the glycerin in the lube. I actually tried straight glycerin, thinking it must have been the additives in the lubes, and it hurt too. So I'm thinking of trying a silicone=based lube. Any thoughts of if it could be glycerin, how I could tell, if silicone will affect me the same way, risks with silicone lube (though I'm sure I can search those out myself)? Thanks so much,
Courtenay

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I ask outrightly if this is an issue with ALL kids of sex?

In other words, if it's only about intercourse, is there a reason why you can't just take a break from intercourse for a while?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes you can ask!
The dryness is an issue with anything involving "Friction", except oral sex, as that seems to provide a source of lubrication. I cannot masturbate comfortably, with or without penetration. I haven't had penis-vaginal intercourse for months, and while that might be the ultimate goal, I'm in no hurry to get there. I would like to be able to enjoy myself again, and the dryness seems to be the first factor I need to overcome. I don't masturbate anymore because of the discomfort, so it's not an issue of someone else putting pressure on me! [Smile]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okie dokie. [Smile]

Can I ask which lubes you've used so far specifically? Might help in trying to narrow down one that might work for you.

In addition, any chance of changing any of these meds that are having this effect?

Have you talked to your OB/GYN about this?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Lubes.. umm.. I might miss a few but..
Astroglide - I used to be able to use it fine, used it for a couple years before any problems.
KY Warming - ick
EZLUBE (or something like that, blue package) - seemed pretty benign, but same effect
pure glycerin from the drug store - figured NO chemicals added to that stuff..
That's all I can think of right now, but I'll ask my partner, he might remember more.
Working on changing the meds, but they're psych meds and the withdrawl is so nasty, it's taking me months for each 5mg drop. My doc REALLY wants me off them, so I'm sure I will be one day!
OBGYN: Duh.. I asked my doctor about it, and he said it was the meds.. well i never thought about getting a referral to am obgyn. I moved a year ago, and my family doc did my last sti/pap for me when I had to get checked out for some itching that wasn't yeast..
Courtenay

--------------------
Courtenay

Heather
Member # 3

Here's what I'm thinking, all this given.

What might be your best bet is to talk to a GYN and to have him or her suggest/prescribe a vaginal lubricant you can use as a daily constant, rather than just for sex. Even a progesterone cream -- again, usually prescription -- might be a big help to you.

The bonus of using a constant is that you won't effectively be coming to any kind of sex or masturbation already dry and sore, because you won't have "built up" (for lack of a better term) dryness and discomfort. because if you're already raw and sore from constant dryness, then most lubes are going to sting.

And if you're comfy with seeing your family doc for your OB/GYN care, there's no reason you can't use them for this.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

I never even knew there was such a thing as a prescription lube. Thanks! I do know some people use lube daily, but I had assumed (i know, i know) that that was along the lines of douching and using oil-based lube.. just things people did for bizarre reasons..
Thanks, and love the changes to the site!
Courtenay

--------------------
Courtenay

Heather
Member # 3

Of course. [Smile]

One option in the interim for you, until you can see your doc, for daily use that's a cheap, easy natural help is some 100% aloe vera gel. You'd have to try it and see how it worked, and it might sting a little at first, but it's a natural skin soother that's perfectly safe for genital use.

(Not for use as a lube with sex, but again, mostly thinking about how to help you get to a place where that dryness isn't a constant.)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

k_leigh7692
Neophyte
Member # 30348

Icon 2 posted      Profile for k_leigh7692     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've had the same exact problem. My birth control has taken away the majority of my natural lubrication and if I'm not extremely over the top aroused, we usually need help from a lubricant.

My boyfriend and I use KY Liquid, and recently bought KY Silk which we haven't tried yet. The KY Liquid works well under certain circumstances.

Your vaginal dryness and constant attempts at sex and masturbation to overcome your problem have probably created some tiny abrasions or cuts. Sometimes when my boyfriend and I try to have sex without a lubricant and then try one in the same session, the abrasions from the friction cause extreme burning and stinging when I apply the KY Liquid. But, if we try it before we have sex, I'm fine.

I say, let yourself heal for a while, like you've been doing. Also, KY makes a vaginal moisturizer, different from a lubricant, less sticky and made for the single purpose of moisturizing and providing us girls with some relief. You can try that and see how that works, and once you're all healed up and you think you're ready for sexual stimulation again, try the KY Liquid.

I've found that it IS the glycerin that causes the burning to be so bad. I know exactly how bad it can get, and later on after the sex, it's caused me problems. I'm pretty sure KY Liquid is glycerin-free. If you have any more questions, Heather responded to a post just like this of mine. It should be on my user info.

If you need any more help, let me know!

Posts: 31 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I actually have to say that in my personal experience, the KYs are some of the worst lubes I've used, as a whole, and I'll only use them when absolutely nothing else at all is available.

My favorite lube that is my mainstay is glycerin-free, and that's Liquid Silk.

Again, this is only likely to be helpful once a person with constant dryness has dealt with that underlying issue first, and OTC vaginal lubes for daily dryness really aren't in the same league (lookit those parabens in that KY one, for instance: not helpful) with some you can get prescribed.

[ 03-17-2007, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Your vaginal dryness and constant attempts at sex and masturbation to overcome your problem have probably created some tiny abrasions or cuts.

I musn't have been totally up front about what I'm dealing with.. Constant attempts at sex and masturbation is definately NOT what I have here! I havn't had sex in at LEAST 3 months!

--------------------
Courtenay

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.