Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » HPV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV
Lindsay*Marie
Activist
Member # 26167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsay*Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have been together over a year and a half, Pretty much sexual the whole time. I was tested around last may, just to check because I was just making sure. I was very worried that I had something because I had something that looked like a genital wart. It was either that or earlier on my pants kept rubbing me there and irritated it. I went to planned parenthood and showed them it, she said it could be the beginning of one, that freaked me out completely, I cried. I got tested for everything and got a pap test. I had to wait a week and if I had something they would call and if I didnt they wouldnt call. That whole week was hell, I cried and wouldnt let my boyfriend touch me. I never got a call and so I called them just to make sure and they said everything was fine. My boyfriend mentioned a little while after that that he knew a girl with hpv but I thought nothing of it. Last night we were on the phone and he brought it up again and told me it was his ex girlfriend and that its possible he has it...I got pissed off and asked why he didnt tell me before we ever slept together. He didnt seem to think it was a big deal so I hung up on him. Now I am very worried about this. I think he said his ex thought she MIGHT have it and he MIGHT have it. Do you think I should go get it checked out again? Is it easy to detect, like through a blood test? Or could I possibly have it and they missed it? I am very worried about this and very upset he wouldnt have told me about it. IS there a test that can tell me whether I have it or not?
Posts: 40 | From: duluth mn us | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, one big thing is that while it's helpful to know the status of people in a partner's sexual history, it's only helpful to a point, especially with an STI like HPV which so often goes undetected, ESPECIALLY in men. When men have warts, for instance, they're often inside the urethra where they aren't visible, and with non-wart strains, there is really no good way of testing at all.

Plus, at this point, it's safe to say that around a good half of young adults who have had sexual partnership have been exposed to HPV, and many will not have even known it.

The very best way to be preventative is just to have both partners be practicing safer sex: that's latex barriers and testing.

If you've had your basic GYN care and your pap smear, then you've had what screening is available for HPV -- visual screening and your pap smear.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.