Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » virus lifespan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: virus lifespan
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound silly, but I don't understand how skin to skin viruses work. I would like to start off by saying this isn't something that I am super worried about or losing sleep over, just something I don't understand.

I know there are others, but the only one I can think of is HPV. Does the HPV die when it doesn't have skin to live on? For example, When someone with the type of HPV that causes cervical cancer or any of them for that matter gets out of the shower and drys themself with a towel, does the virus transfer to the towel and live there? If so would it survive very long?

I also wondered this about the common cold. Why is it okay to keep using the same toothbrush when you get over a cold. I have done this before and not gotten sick again. Is it that the virus dies, or does your body just get used to it?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. If anyone has any insight please share! Thanks =)

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most germs die in about 2-3 hours if they're on a hard, dry surface. They can survive substantially longer, though if they're on a warm, moist surface, such as a wet towel or toothbrush, so you actually ARE supposed to wash your linens/towels and get a new toothbrush after being sick, as your chances of getting sick again then increase. The actual amount of time any given virus or bacteria can survive outside a body really does vary depending on the organism and the surface- so it can be anytime between less than a minute to 2 days.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwaihir
Activist
Member # 27276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gwaihir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
really? I didn't know you were supposed to change your toothbrush and such after being sick. I never do and nothing bad has ever happened to me. With the common cold at least, you can never get the same cold twice, because when your body fights off the disease it "remembers" it and produces the antibodies for it so you don't get sick with it again. . it's just that common cold strains multiply and mutate so fast new ones pop up each year, which is why people get colds a lot.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dentist has always told me it's best to get a new one after being sick- toothbrushes can harbor a LOT of bacteria, and you really don't want to introduce something new to your body after being sick and having a somewhat compromised immune system, nor do you want whatever caused your illness to breed all over your toothbrush, right? [Smile] I've never actually gotten sick again either, but it always made sense to me anyway. You're supposed to replace them every 3 months anyway, so I figure, they're cheap- why not replace it after sickness?

(And Gwaihir, you're right about the cold- but think about this: many families have toothbrush holders that hold several toothbrushes, and if one toothbrush infected with a cold touches the others...? What then, right? It's also a good practise to prevent transmission of illnesses.)

[ 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwaihir:
really? I didn't know you were supposed to change your toothbrush and such after being sick. I never do and nothing bad has ever happened to me. With the common cold at least, you can never get the same cold twice, because when your body fights off the disease it "remembers" it and produces the antibodies for it so you don't get sick with it again. . it's just that common cold strains multiply and mutate so fast new ones pop up each year, which is why people get colds a lot.

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

quote:
Originally posted by Gwaihir:

That is really interesting! I didn't realize there were that many types of colds. Lately I have been wanting to take those science classes all over again.

It sounds like some people change the toothbrush and some do. I just got over a cold and I am hesitant to change mine because it is a SoniCare. The replacement heads come in packs of two for like 26 bucks [Confused] I think I may pour some boiling water over it's head.

Thank you for the replys - good stuff. [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.