Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Female Body kills Sperm??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Female Body kills Sperm??
stupidbf
Neophyte
Member # 32540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stupidbf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I don't believe this at all, but my boyfriends swears that sperm cannot live in a female's body because the body sees sperm as some kind of infection/virus/foriegn objects and sends stuff (white blood cells?) to kill them. Please help me with this boy.

[Roll Eyes]

[ 02-02-2007, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: stupidbf ]

Posts: 21 | From: PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible for the body to produce sperm antibodies; even men can produce them, and can have their own sperm attacked! Sperm are seen as foreign invaders just like other pathogens and immobilized or killed.

However, note that even women with a large amount of those antibodies are VERY rarely found to be infertile through that criteria alone, so assuming that the body will just fight 'em off isn't a reliable means of contraception. [Wink]

(In afterthought, he wasn't pulling that line out to try to dodge using a reliable birth control method, right?)

[ 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stupidbf
Neophyte
Member # 32540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stupidbf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the conception thing I was arguing with him. Thanks too.

Edit: See what had happened was... I had the ring in, but since I was on vacation I was leaving it in a little longer so that the amount of days it stays out coincides with when I could go get a new one. And we had some condomless sex because I didn't bring any with me, but withdrew because I'm still not comfortable with that. And there's the sperm in pre-cum, especially since we were foolng around before hand.

And I feel bad b/c I just yelled at him while he was peeking over my shoulder. I've been really moody lately...

Double edit: I did get my period right after that. I took the ring out the next day because that's when I figured would be the right timing.

[ 02-02-2007, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: stupidbf ]

Posts: 21 | From: PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your boyfriend was right, none of us (or our ancestors) would be here at all to even be discussing this.

Do you need help per making clear that reliable birth control is a given, not something negotiable?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try asking your boyfriend how he thinks pregnancies happen, then [Razz] .

Seriously, the female reproductive system is adapted to be a great environment for sperm to survive in for as long as possible.

As Miss Lauren said, antibodies to sperm can exist - it's not impossible for this to happen on occasion. But generally, the immune system is pretty well-programmed so that it doesn't reject things like sperm (or embryos) as "foreign" tissue.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stupid_Girl
Neophyte
Member # 32598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stupid_Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Seriously, the female reproductive system is adapted to be a great environment for sperm to survive in for as long as possible."

No that's not true. Which is why large amounts of sperm are necessary for implantation. Though some species have the ability to store sperm in genitals with a better environment, humans do not. The vagina itself is very acidic environment that causes sperm death, the cervix serves as a barrier to sperm...Sperm are foriegn cells and are attacked by white blood cells. By time sperm arrive at the awaiting egg their numbers are alot smaller....but it only takes one sperm. There are a few theories for this including immune response and the environment of the vagina as an arena for sperm to compete and drive evolution.

HOWEVER this is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT to say that pregnancy is unlikely when you have unprotected sex or that pulling out prevents pregnancy. There are still many many sperm that will and CAN get you pregnant, and it is highly likely if you are not using reliable birthcontrol. It'll just be the strongest one of the bunch [Smile] Not to mention, precum can have sperm in it too which (though uncommon) CAN get you pregnant. In fact, I had a friend who had an abortion because she became pregnant that way. Poor girl didn't even know precum could do that. Don't be her!!

Posts: 10 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The general idea, though, is that sperm can live for quite a long time (5-7 days) once inside the vagina and the various bits of the reproduction system, whereas they live for 20 minutes in a non-friendly environment (like a sheet, or hand).

Do keep in mind, too, that there are very, very few sperm in pre-ejaculate, and this too poses a very real pregnancy risk, even though the amount of sperm is far less than ejaculate.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stupidbf
Neophyte
Member # 32540

Well I did get my period right after this incident and I should be getting it soon. I took my ring out Thursday which would be 3 weeks exactly (I usually wait 3 1/2 weeks because I need it to come on weekends since my cramps aren't friendly). So it's Saturday now and I still haven't gotten it, but this has happened before and I am stressed. I don't quite know what exactly is going on. My bf says I do this a lot, with the being scared which is true but this is the first time that my fear has a chance of being true.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.