Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Another Yeast Infection or Something Worse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another Yeast Infection or Something Worse?
Iro
Neophyte
Member # 32081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I, unfortunantly, got my first yeast infection a little over a month ago and basically used some home remedies (took homeopathic oral treatment and apple cider vinegar douche) and all of the internal problems went away but soon after I realized my labia started to feel itchy again. When I checked it out, I realized it looked much like it did when I had the yeast infection, swollen, red and dry. They're are a few small bumps (they don't itch at all) but I shave so that tends to happen now and again.

Can yeast grow on skin? And if so, what can I do to get rid of it? If not, could this something more serious? I am sexually active but my partner and I use condoms each and every time we have sex and we were both virgins before we became active with each other.

Help!

Posts: 2 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(For the record, you should NEVER douche with anything, let alone vinegar. It upsets the pH balance in your vagina, and also kills good bacteria, which can lead to MORE yeast infections!)

I'm not sure whether or not you have another yeast infection, but I do know that there are plenty of skin conditions related to yeast (you can get yeast infections in your mouth and throat too, for example, it's called thrush).

As per treatment of yeast infections, check out this link:
http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/fbi_yeast.html

[ 01-14-2007, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you diagnosed as having a yeast infection? If not, it's not sound to assume that's what it is the first time. You could have a different sort of infection entirely.

So, best bet is to go see your gynecologist now and get diagnosed by a healthcare pro.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iro
Neophyte
Member # 32081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
leabug: thanks for the link

Heather: I did talk to my doctor about it and he did say it was a yeast infection, but I think I'm definitely going to go to the gynecologist and get looked at.

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 2 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But did he actually have a look?

That's pretty important, especially if you're sexually active: remember that condoms reduce the risk of infection -- they don't eradicate it.

So, it's pretty vital that the doc you have for your sexual health knows when to take a look (and also knows that when you're sexually active and having infection symptoms, it's key to look for everything). Diagnosing a yeast infection over the phone is pretty iffy, at best.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
conan
Neophyte
Member # 32349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for conan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeast infections can come from a lot of sources. Although not mentioned specifically in the following link I would suggest that you make sure, if you have a sex partner, to demand that his hands and genitals are squeaky clean.

http://www.medicinenet.com/yeast_vaginitis/article.htm

Posts: 11 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.