Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Safe Sex Kit. Yay!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safe Sex Kit. Yay!
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 7 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow I am going to go to the store and purchase all materials needed for safter sex!

So far, I have:

-Lubricant [KY "Sensual Mist"]. I will be purhcasing more Astroglide because that stuff is simply the BEST. My little bottle is basically empty. Great stuff.
-A couple of lubricated Trojans
-The "pleasure pack" from Durex which includes a flavored condom.
-My birth control pills.

I will be purchasing latex gloves & dental dams. Can I purchase dental dams at, let's say, Wal-Mart? Any other suggestions to add to my kit?

I'm actually a bit excited to make this kit. I'm a loser haha [Smile]

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plastic wrap works just as well as dental dams (provided it's not the "microwave" stuff), because all it is a flat barrier between the mouth and the genitals. [Smile]

Do you have a box to keep it all in? Odd as it sounds, I have a green Chinese takeout box that I use to keep my condoms and lube in, and I find it works well. Storage is a consideration: try and keep it away from heat and direct light.

Also, check out this thread for more ideas. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome thread and thanks for the reply. I just made a list for the store.

Well, I was planning on doing this:

I will buy two makeup bags - one being larger, the other, smaller.

The larger one will hold ALL supplies and essentially be held in my house in my dresser. The smaller one, I will fill up with a couple condoms, latex gloves, some plastic wrap, a pack of my BCPs, and a few single-use packets of lube, so I can just grab it and put in my purse in case the time arises. I want to have them with the same design so I can look at the kits and immediately identify them as SAFE SEX!

Essentially I will have two kits so I will always have protection where ever I am.

=] =]

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snarky
Neophyte
Member # 31948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snarky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wooo i looooove that pleasure pack!
Posts: 39 | From: los angeles | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileyGuy1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a wonderful idea!

I read the thread that DarkChild717 posted. It not only included "Safe Sex Kit" ideas, but other items that would probably be in a general "Sex Kit"...massage oil, tissues, flavored dental dams, etc.

A "Safe Sex Kit" is such a good idea, I can't believe anyone hasn't marketed the item yet...if someone has, I haven't ever seen one. I like the home-made idea myself. It makes it more personal.

Happy New Year all, and best wishes for a super and "SAFER" 2007!

Posts: 71 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmileyGuy1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put together my own kit last night. So far I have:
1. KY Mist (water-based/condom safe)
2. Astroglide (water-based/condom safe)
3. Durex condoms
4. Durex colored/flavored condoms
5. The bag I put it all in is a digital video camera bag that has 3 outside pockets and a good sized space inside for bottles of lubricant, etc.

I got the flavored condoms with the thought of cutting them down the middle and using them as dental dams, and for safe fellatio. I also made sure that the lubricants I got were condom safe. I'm still searching for a water-based massage oil, but as the name implies (massage "oil"), I've only found oil-based varieties. If I do end up getting a massage oil, I'll just have to be sure that I only engage in safe manual or oral activity when I use it.

It was pretty funny to watch the cashier check these items out. It was a slow night, so there were actually 4 cashiers standing there when I went through the line. They got real quiet, so I couldn't tell if they were embarrassed or impressed. I'm going with "impressed."

Posts: 71 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still searching for a water-based massage oil, but as the name implies (massage "oil"), I've only found oil-based varieties.
Get massage creme ! Astroglide has a lotion that's water based, you can look it up [Smile] .

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome idea, Smileyguy; cutting open flavored condoms as a barrier for cunnilingus. I'm definitely going to practice this!

I just came home from the store. I purchased my two makeup bags, a 10 pack of Durex condoms, Astroglide Lube, and finger cots. I went with finger cots because I feel like if he is wearing a latex glove I might feel as though I am getting an examination [though that could be nice for role play.. hmm [Smile] ]. I'll just have the boy throughly wash his hands before putting on the finger cots and away we go!

My cashier was all smiley before she scanned the condoms and lube. Then her attitude changed. Whatever!

I want condoms that are flavored but NOT lubricated, and well, that was all I could find for now. Any suggestions?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember, folks, that it's VITAL the flavored side stays on the side of the giver: flavored condoms have sugars on them that can incline a woman to a yeast infection or other vaginal imbalance, so you don't want to have that side in contact with the vulva.

(Which is why flatly, I'd advise just not using those for dams, since you're going to get that stuff on your fingers while holding the damn too, and it's likely that sugary saliva will be running down the dam to the perinuem regardless.)

And flavored condoms are a flavored lube on the condom: you can't flavor the latex itself.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmileyGuy1974
Activist
Member # 31422

Heather and Nailo,
Thanks for the suggestions and insight. Much appreciated! [Wink]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.