Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Worried about STD's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worried about STD's
Hijol
Neophyte
Member # 31877

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Hijol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Scarleteen. [Smile]

Anyway, just out of nowhere...I'm just starting to worry about STD's when I grow up.

I'm a virgin, and I personally would like to keep my virginity until I marry. I need to make sure that I really love my partner, and I think that sex before marriage is just not the thing for me. I'm hoping to do it around 25-30....then get kids. [Smile]

When I'm just thinking about sex, I worry about the dieseases that could happen. What should you be cautious about when having sex between 2 virgins? What kind of STD's are there, and how do they naturally occur? I just don't want to end up with some stupid diesease in my body. What's there to worry or think about?

Please help, thanks.

--------------------
Does true love exist?

Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some basics to start with:

A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment
Herpes & HPV

Though those links, you can also look at the index for The Infection Section and read all about the most common STIs.

Bear in mind that the chances of you having sex at 25-30 with a partner who never has as well are remarkably slim. But if that WAS the case, so long as that person had never had ANY intimate contact -- even deep kissing -- with others, the risks would be very minimal.

All the same, it'd be smart to practice safer sex for the first six months just like anyone else.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hijol
Neophyte
Member # 31877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hijol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. thanks for the article.

Practice safe sex when I'm married?
So as in...once I get married, I should have sex with my wife with condems, and try it a few times?

I want 2-3 children, but I don't want a risk of diseases.

--------------------
Does true love exist?

Posts: 32 | From: Earth | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safer sex during marriage is pretty much the same as safer sex with ANY partner:

You and ANY sexual partner (be it a girlfriend or a casual partner or a wife) should be using condoms until you have both received two full STI screenings, 6 months apart, and continue having yearly STI screenings after that.

When you're married, safer sex is important especially when you are wanting to have children, since STIs can affect a fetus, and when you're not at a point in your life where you and your wife want to become pregnant? Contraception is good to use at that point, too, for obvious reasons.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hijol
Neophyte
Member # 31877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hijol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's wise to get an STI screening with my gf or fiance, when were actually into the long-term relationship, right? I have to be careful about the risks.

If I don't really understand this stuff by the age of 25, IF, are chances that my partner will understand? I should use condems for 6 months in my marriage?

--------------------
Does true love exist?

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Practice safe sex when I'm married?
So as in...once I get married, I should have sex with my wife with condems, and try it a few times?

To clarify, "practicing" safer sex means carrying it out.

Not "pratice" as in "practice makes perfect" [Smile] .

I should use condems for 6 months in my marriage?

You and any monogamous partner should use condoms until you've both had two clear STI screens, 6 months apart.

Then you know you don't have any STIs, so can drop the condoms if you want to.

However, you'll still need to use some form of birth control until you're ready to have children.

If I don't really understand this stuff by the age of 25, IF, are chances that my partner will understand?

OK, what is it you're not feeling clear on right now? Let's see if we can sort it out.

And in a marriage (or any other long-term relationship), you need to be able to communicate with your partner, about this and a whole lot of other stuff [Smile] .

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hijol
Neophyte
Member # 31877

Ooh... thanks.

I'm not so educated on this sex sort of thing, so I'm just hoping that my partner understands this stuff, and knows about sex. [Razz]

What kind of STD's are there, and how are they spread?

--------------------
Does true love exist?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Haven't read those links yet, eh? Scroll back up to my first response and have a look.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two articles Heather linked you pretty much says it all. Just retake a look at those two and if you have any more questions after reading those, just ask.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hijol
Neophyte
Member # 31877

OH. The links, right. Sorry, I guess I just passed it really quickly. Thanks.

--------------------
Does true love exist?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.