Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » AIDs Awareness activities?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDs Awareness activities?
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm part of the Stephen Lewis foundation in my school. It's a group working for AIDs Awareness and trying to help inform and end it. We are organizing a workshop for people to get informed and I remember once reading a cool idea someone had done in their school's sex ed class a while back. I searched all over to try to find the entry but I just can't find it. I had to do with each person having this cup with somethig nin it and you'd walk around the room and mixe the liquid i nyour cup. .and at the end there would be something to show how many people had contracted AIDS as one ofthe cups had had something different about it to represent AIDS.. I really don't remember it so clearly.. I'm jsut wondering if anyone else knows what the actual activity was or if you have any other ideas of what we can do. Thanks you SOO much!

[ 11-10-2006, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Lindz ]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember doing that activity in the fifth grade, actually.

When I did it, each person was given a vial of fluid, and a number between 1 and 5. They had to share drops of this liquid with the number of people indicated by their number. (I was one of two people given 0.)

At the end, each person's vial had another fluid added. Everyone's vial turned blue or some other color, while the two of us that did not share had clear liquid.

Is that what you were asking about? I do apologize, though--I have no idea what chemicals were used to do this experiment. You might be able to talk to a chemistry teacher to find out what you can use to get the same effect.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is what I mean... Thanks for the additional explanation. I didnt' remember what the whole process was.
It's alright if yo udont' knwo the chemicals. There are many chemistry teachers in ym school who would know what to use. Once again thank you so much!

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI?

Since AIDS isn't contagious, but rather, the HIV virus which casues it is, that activity should be done about how the transmission of HIV works, not about the acquired syndrome front it, AIDS.

So, I'd just make clear that's about HIV transmission, specifically, especially if you're working on increasing awareness, since so many people confuse the two, or assume they are one and the same.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also worth looking at what messages you're conveying.

For example, the activity you describe could give the impression that HIV risk is all about how many partners someone has.

It doesn't communicate the fact that someone who practices safer sex with lots of partners has a lower risk than someone who's having unsafe sex with one partner.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps that could be explored by a cup in a cup - your liquid is in one cup, and there's another cup inside that cup and your liquid which represents a safer sex method (condom), and the other people pour their liquid into that cup-in-a-cup, so it never mixes with your original liquid - and other people could just have the one cup with liquid in to represent unsafe sex, perhaps?
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I think, though, logic, that the colored cups represent someone who is HIV positive, and thus, all of whom they could infect, so it's not really about number of partners so much as how many people can be infected by one person with the virus?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Yeah.. We'll for sure explain the HIV thing.. I explained the whole thing pretty quickly. I'm acutally new in the group and so there are more informed people about it. But I see what you mean.. you guys al lbring up realyl good points. I'll talk to the group. it could bea cool idea to show the safer sex side of it also. That way we show the options of no protection, protection and abstanance. Thanks so much guys! you've all been a really big help
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(If it's any help, I think this could be done with something as simple as tap water, starch solution and iodine - starch solution and water look identical until iodine is added, which reacts with starch and changes colour as a result. I might not be right, but it would certainly be a cheap way of doing it if it worked.)
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

If that does work then that's a great way !!! I'll check with my chem teacher to see if that will work. THANKS!
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also remember hearing about a game where people are given condoms to carry around, and some people have cards with different STIs on them: herpes, gonorrhea, HIV, etc. If you forget to have your condom on you, and someone catches you, they can give you whichever disease they're carrying. I think by the end of the game, some people had three or four different STIs.

You could probably easily alter that game to work for just HIV - maybe in addition to condoms, players could say, try and get a tattoo to see if they ask the proper questions (do you use an autoclave and sterilized instruments, etc.)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Hmm.... What exactly do you mean by "if they forget to have your condom on you" How exactly can one forget if it's clear in the exercise that you'd need one? Unless you mean that they are given the comdoms to carry over a bit of time?
Thank you very much for your input, but if possible, can you reexplain that part?

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, sorry, I mean over a bit of time. I've seen this done in university dorms over about a week or so, as an STI awareness event.

Basically, you give everyone the materials at the first event, and then have a check in the next time, like 3 days - a week later, and see how everyone handled it.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindz
Neophyte
Member # 27651

Oh! thanks guys for all the help. the group realyl likes the idea!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.