Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » question about coming off the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about coming off the pill
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

It has been a long time since I've come to this site but I've always found wonderful advice and information so here I am!

I recently stopped taking Seasonale. I was on it for a little more than 6 months (2 full 3 month packs and then 3 weeks into the third pack). My decision to stop taking them was based on several things: I experienced a lot of spotting that didn't seem to decrease as the product info insert said it should, the pills were way expensive (my insurance wouldn't cover them either) and the main reasons were my blood pressure was a lot higher after i started taking them and i didn't like the way the pills made me feel. so i stopped taking them and decided i'd wait until i go to see my gynecologist in a few months to talk to her about trying something else (i'd been on Alesse previously but had a lot of bad effects from that).

anyway, i finished the second 3 month cycle of pills, had my week of placebo pills, started the third pack and stopped taking them at the end of the 3rd week. about five days later, i had my "period" and then the following month, i had my period again. i was surprised because when i came off Alesse, it took a few months to get my real period straightened out. this month, i was "supposed" to start my period three days ago but still a no show. i have been under some stress lately and trying not to worry about this period thing just yet.

i don't *think* i've had a pregnancy risk and i'm hoping this is either just stress, as i mentioned, or my cycle is still kind of wonky from coming off the pill.

to better explain, i have had sex about 3-4 times since I came off the pill and twice since my last period (in august). i'm recently married and my husband and i are not ready for children yet so we have been using condoms every time and he does not even undress until he is ready to put the condom on. we haven't had any problems with them... none of them broke or slipped and he's even filled them with water afterwards and no leaks. so i don't *think* there was any chance of his semen coming in contact with my vulva, unless some got on his hand at some point and he touched me. but he is really careful about that.

anyway, i will take a pregnancy test to know for sure but do you think it is even possible that i could be pregnant, given the circumstances.

also, we did have sex the last day i was on the pill and did not use a condom. but since i have had two periods since that time, do you think there was a pregnancy risk there at all?

i'm sorry if this seems silly... i just get myself all worked up sometimes and need some reassurance. thanks!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any pregnancy risk for you, here.

To boot, having a normal period isn't a pregnancy symptom, and you had two, yes? Being a little late this time isn't anything I'd worry about: you were on a constant cycle of pills back-to-back, so I'd say that expecting some ups and downs in terms of when your period will come -- over the next six months or so -- would make sense.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heather,

Thank you. I took a pregnancy test just in case and it was negative. Yes, I've had 2 periods that were normal to the best of my knowledge since coming off the pill but I know you know that this type of thing can make some people highly emotional and worry a lot! Thank you for the reassurance. you can close the thread now if you wish.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.