Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » a thin period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a thin period
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was one day late on my period...big deal. I had the normal cramps the first day of it, normal length (about 5 days). But nothing was released like it normally is. It was like a watery period, not clumps, very thin. So I thought, hey maybe I'm pregnant. Well I've taken 3 tests so far and they are all negative. This is so weird, this has never happened to me. I only had a few drops of blood each day. Does anyone know of any other reason for this happening? I know I need to go to the doctor to get this checked out, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of this before?
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
First,don't worry. Take a deep breath right now.

Did anything makes you at risk for being pregnant like let's say unprotected sex or breakage of condoms ? If so, did you wait 10 to 14 days after your risk before taking your test ? If so and you took it three times, then it's almost 100 % sure you're not pregnant. It's pretty reliable.

Second, being one day late on your period is no big deal at all. Even missing one or bein late on one isn't most of the time. There's so much things that can throw your period out of whack, stress being a big factor. And if you haven't had your period yet for 5 years ,it's even more normal since it takes sometimes up to 5 years for a women cycle to regulate. Also,I think it is normal for your period to sometimes change consistency from one month to another.

Unless you're missing like a lot of periods in a row there's not too much to worry about. So stop worrying too much okay ? I also don't think there's a reason to think it's due to a pregnancy if you don't had any unprotected sex.

[ 09-08-2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well I guess its a light period, similar to discharge. There were no clots or thick clumps of blood it was thin like water.

My boyfriend and I dont have protected sex, and I'm not on birth control. My periods are very regular now they seem to be anywhere from 26-28 days apart, this one fell on day 29, no big deal. I was just curious. I've had my period for over 6 years now... so

[ 09-08-2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Olive ]

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, Olive it might me more sage to use at least a condom the next time : it protects you against pregnancy plus against STD in addition.And no need to worry as much about pregnancies.

Do you know all the risks you're putting yourself through by having unprotected sex? Even more if you both haven't been tested for STD ? Even if you are, 3 tests are needed if I remember well in order to define you both safe not to use condoms (for STD or course) and there's a lot of other factors. And still not using a condoms makes you at risks for pregnancies.

I'm not trying to judge you, really not. Just trying to show you the facts. It's your decision in the end. But here we advise to have safe sex so I tought I'd tell you that.

[ 09-08-2006, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

I know that, it's irresponsible and risky. But all in the moment I kinda wanted to see if I could get pregnant, but I'm not. We've been together for 3 1/2 years. By the way, In California, is it true that you can get birth control over the counter without a prescription now? Does anyone know?
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! We have a thread detailing a program in California you can participate in that covers family planning services, including EC:

Washington State/California family planning programs

If you'd prefer to pay out of pocket, the site below lists places you can obtain EC.

http://ec.princeton.edu

Your best bet is to call a pharmacy before you go in to hear their individual policy. You can also obtain EC through your local Planned Parenthood.

(Edit: Whoops, I thought you were talking about emergency contraception; my mistake. You can obtain certain methods of birth control over the counter, such as condoms and spermicides. But actual prescription methods like the birth control pill, diaphragm, etc still require a prescription to be filled.)

[ 09-08-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.