Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » STI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI?
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, everyone. I've been here for a while now, and I know that I should probably check the search feature, but still....

I've been with my boyfriend for about a year and 10 months, and my boyfriend has been giving me manual for about five months. I'm very careful, normally. IE, urinating after we're done, etc.

However, I'm noticing that my discharge is a bit odd. Sometimes it has these weird goowie type bits. Sort of like boogers, I guess, or thick and stringy. I'm worried, because I don't know how I could possibly get treatment. I could go to the PP in my town, but I'm not exactly sure of the procedure, and how things work with them. I think you have to call to make appointments. . . .

Also, I don't have a ride. I mean, I have a few friends that drive, and my boyfriend does, too. I don't know.

What about price? How would that work? Are exams free? What exam would I need? I think I've got a bacterial infection. I'm not sure. I don't want to talk about this with my family, because they won't exactly be symphathetic.

I just want to figure this out. I don't have a job, so I don't have much money....

Help!

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to get answers to most of your questions here is to call the good ol' people at PP up and ask them. They'll know how to set up an appointment for you and what it's going to cost.

As for transportation ... You can ask your boyfriend to take you. Or even a parent. I understand your relucatance to tell them, but if there IS something wrong, it's going to need treatment at some point.

[ 08-20-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: LilBlueSmurf ]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discharge will change texture throughout your cycle - and from month to month, you may have different amounts of discharge as well, regardless of whether you have sexual activity.

Do you have other symptoms? Pain when you urinate? Itching? Dark-colored discharge?
Those symptoms could indicate a bacterial infection, in which case you would need treatment.

http://www.ppalabama.org/
Since you're sexually active, you're due for a visit to the gynecologist. Call and ask them what their procedures are. PP charges on a sliding scale; I'm not sure how the Alabama chapter handles patients without insurance.

If you and your boyfriend are intimate, he shouldn't have a problem driving you to a doctor... why not ask him or a friend?
I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

re: the parentals. Do they frown on premarital sex? At some point, it would probably be a good idea to let them or another trusted adult relative know that you're sexually active, even if you're not having intercourse. Otherwise, you'll have to get your gyn exams on your own, and that's already kind of an issue for you.

Some parents do freak out a bit at the "I'm doing the deed" announcement. Most of the time, they calm down after a bit because they remember that they did it too. It helps to let them know upfront that you're in a long term relationship with a good guy, and you're taking all the necessary precautions.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my grandparents do. I might be able to ask my mom, but I don't know what she would say. She may be more understanding, but I'm just not sure.

quote:
Do you have other symptoms? Pain when you urinate? Itching? Dark-colored discharge?
No. It itches a bit, but it's not uncontrollable or abnormal, I wouldn't think. No dark-colored (as in red? Brown? What colors, specifically?) discharge either.

I would prefer to get an exam without my grandparents knowledge. Of course, I could just tall my mom, "I'm feeling a bit funny 'down there'. I would like a gynecologist visit."

I mean, my older sister was having sex at my age, so I don't know why I'm any different, and I'm not even "having sex" in that fashion....

When you go with parents, are your exam results still confidential?

Posts: 80 | From: Alabama, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. Just tell your parents to wait in the waiting room. Your doctor should never perform any exam or give any results w/ anyone else in the room w/o asking you first.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathilde
Activist
Member # 27083

I'm just a tad too nervous to ask. I know it'd be better that way, but it might take a lot for me. And I'm afraid that my mom will assume I'm having sex. (Well, I am sort of, but not to the extent that she would expect.)

I just don't want my mom/gran/whoever to be like, "Oh my! You want a gyno visit! You MUST be sexually active!" I am, but if I can play it off like I'm not, then I might do that. Now, if I end up having something SERIOUSLY wrong, then I would obviously tell them, but I don't feel it's terrible.

Or I could go to PP and feel totally resentful that I never told my parents about my issue.

Does anyone have a way to help me talk to my mom? Please?

EDIT: Okay, from what I've deduced, I think I've got a Yeast Infection. I'm going to tell my mom tomorrow. All of the symptoms fit.

[ 08-20-2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Mathilde ]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.