Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » how much is too much?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much is too much?
reddave46
Neophyte
Member # 30354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddave46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering, how much is too much for masturbating, in terms of how many times you do it? When, or does it, become a major habit or addiction? Thanks.
Posts: 35 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masturbation doesn't become a problem behavior unless it interferes with other areas of your life (such as prefering to stay inside and masturbate instead of going out with friends, studying, etc).

Otherwise, there is no upper or lower limit so long as you feel comfortable.

[ 08-17-2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddave46
Neophyte
Member # 30354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reddave46     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, because I was told by a psychology teacher in an "Adolescent Psych" class that if you masturbate ___ amount of times in a ___ period of time (I think he said like over 3 times a week or more than once a day, but im not positive about it), it can become addicting, and therefore, you would need to see a doctor to relieve that addiction.
Posts: 35 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you for questioning that piece of information!

There is, I repeat, nothing wrong with masturbation, no matter how frequent, just as long as you're not harming yourself physically or it's not consuming time you normally spend doing other things.

It's beyond me how some people get into adolescent education.

[ 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reddave46
Neophyte
Member # 30354

Ok, thank you so much for clearing that up! When I heard that information from that professor, I started worrying instantly, thinking that I was going to have an addiction or something from masturbating.
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's terrible for a professor to spread such blatant misinformation, but it does happen. Putting any kind of number on masturbation habits is not just misleading, it is almost certainly incorrect, as everyone is different in this regard, and more to the point it is a very personal decision whether you are masturbating too much or not. If you think you are, maybe you are, if you yourself are not worried about it, you're not. As Miss Lauren says, it only becomes something to worry about if you find yourself unable to engage in other activities because you are always masturbating. Other than that, it's all very much fair game.
Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.