Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » yeast infection

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast infection
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went to my doctor's on friday and she said that i had some swelling and redness, checked it out a little bit more and told me that i had a yeast infection. i was prescribed this single pill, it wasn't what she had originally prescribed, something the pharmacy gave me instead. so, i took the pill and it still hasn't gone away. she did say that it would appear to have gone away in 3 days and would be completely gone in 5. well, it's been 3, the unusual discharge seems to be gone, it's just clearish now, but the redness and what i believe to be as swelling is still there. i don't really know what it looked like down there, so i don't know if i'm back to normal, but i don't believe so. what do you think the doctor is going to tell me to do if it hasn't gone away by day 5? also, i was supposed to have my period on this saturday or next (the reason i don't know is because mine is very spaztic) so my doctor told me if after my period i still suspected to have an infection, then i should come back. if my period doesn't start by day 5, do you think i should make an appointment asap?
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, i was wondering if it screws up your period? such as delaying it, shorter, longer, etc?
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Illness or infection in general can delay a period, as can stress from illness.

Have you had a pregnancy risk, per concern about your period? If so, were you also fully checked for STIs at your docs via blood, urine and pap tests?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

my doctor said that it was too early for a pap test because i haven't been having sex for very long (maybe 2 months) and since i had a yeast infection and the area was extremely tender, she said that i should wait until my next appointment (december). they took a blood and urine sample too.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but all menstruating women should have annual GYN care, whether they're sexually active or not. Pap smears, yes, aren't needed until you've been sexually active, but that other care is.

But it sounds like maybe she DID do those necessary bits already?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it takes a couple of days for your body to heal back up after the infection has subsided. So in other words, the discharge was part of what was causing your irritation. Even though your discharge may have normalized already or may normalize within the next day or so, it may take your tissues another few days to heal (IF your swelling, etc. were truly related to a yeast infection).

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.