Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: quote
jessinator55
Activist
Member # 19702

Icon 6 posted      Profile for jessinator55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You can become pregnant if you have sex during your period even if you are on birth control pills. It is highly unlikely but entirely possible. If you suspect you may have become pregnant during your period consult a doctor immediately before you start another package of birth control pills."

This is from www.teenadvice.com

I was doing research on BC pills and came across this. I thought that the week you were on withdrawel bleed was the SAFEST time to have sex. I understand that you can become pregnant on the pill, but is the withdrawel week any more risky than the other week?

Posts: 59 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you take your birth control pills correctly (at the same time each day, not forgetting any pills, etc.) you would have the same amount of coverage through the whole cycle - in that sense, the withdrawal bleed week isn't any more risky than the others.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perfectshadeofdarkblue
Activist
Member # 29821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perfectshadeofdarkblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe they just give that information to say that a woman CAN get pregnant even if she is on the pill. It is VERY unlikely, but it can still happen. Also, maybe they mentioned that it can occur during the bleed week because so many people think that it's impossible to get pregnant while you have your period.. just a thought.
Posts: 44 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
The pill is just like any contraceptive : it isn't 100 % effective. It's really effective against pregnancy but there are cases when it isn't. Also, if the pill is not taken properly, fro example if a women forget to take her pills often or doesn't take them at the proper time, it's more likely she'll get pregnant.

Also, it is not true that a women can't get pregnant if she has sex on her period. Even though this is the least likely time for you to get pregnant, it does happen. Women can ovulate at any time, even during their period.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.