Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » breaking the hymen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: breaking the hymen
blondynlove
Neophyte
Member # 29986

Icon 5 posted      Profile for blondynlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody! I have a questions for you guys that im hoping you can answer for me. I had sex with my boyfriend about 1 1/2 days ago. He broke my hymen so of course i bled but i was wondering how long this bleeding usually takes place. My best friend only bled for 2 hours and im going on 2 days, is this normal?

Thanks bunches!

Posts: 4 | From: las vegas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, blondynlove!
Never having had a hymen, bear in mind I'm by no means an expert here. [Wink]
But as far as I know, if it's only spotting then you've got nothing to worry about really.
If it's a large amount of blood see your gyno.
Also, I know this sounds like a stupid question, but is there any chance it could be your period a few days early? How long is it since your last period? Because I suppose it could be that if there's quite a bit of blood.
Hope this helps. [Smile]

[ 07-24-2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondynlove
Neophyte
Member # 29986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondynlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it is my period im about, 1 1/2 weeks early. so i dont really think its that. and i know this might be confusing but its a little more than spotting but not as much as when i am on my period. Its confusing lol. if anybody else reads this please help me out and tell me how long you have experienced the bleeding after breaking the hymen. [Smile] it would be very much appreciated.
Posts: 4 | From: las vegas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twentysix
Activist
Member # 26852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twentysix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i only bled for a couple minutes, but spotting for a couple days is normal. if it goes on longer than a week (or if there is excessive bleeding) definitely see your gyno asap.
Posts: 86 | From: california | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is the bleeding may not be due to your hymen at all.

It could also be due to an injury (mini abrasions for example) or an irritation caused by too rough sex or a lack of arousal. Bleeding during first time sex is not also due to the hymen. It can but it can be also due to other factors.

How long the bleeding last really depends on the cause of it and on the person. Some women don't even bleed on their first time while others can bleed for a few days.

But just so you know, the bleeding shouldn't be excessive as if you were on your period (it should only be spotting or so) and shouldn't last longer than a few days. If that happens, you need to go see your gyno or doctor to see if it's not an important injury or another thing you're dealing with.

So just wait before having sex again, let it time to heal and if this doesn't stop tomorrow (it would have been going on for three days) go see your gyno or doctor. The bleeding should normally stop after 3 days and if it don't you need to do something about it.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondynlove
Neophyte
Member # 29986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blondynlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks so much for your help you guys!
IGotSomeQuestions
Neophyte
Member # 31057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IGotSomeQuestions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to say how excellent this site is. I am a first time message poster and I really enjoy reading all the info this site gives. Many different things can happen to your body and you can't often find a good answer from the few friends you have.

I am 21 and had sex for the first time a few days ago. It was kind of painfull as often happens and there was blood on the condom and when i wipped my vagina afterwords. I have assumed that it is my hymen that has torn and when i look with a mirror it seems to be the case. I use a vibrator on a regular basis without a problem however a penis did cause some pain and bleeding. The bleeding at first was almost like having a cut. The tissue contained a small area of bright blood however this lessened and then disapated by morning. Then there was just some darker.... kinda like the end of you period... looking stuff in the morning. It was just a small amount.

Over the past few days i have continued to experienced some bleeding. sometimes in the morning it can be a like spotting but a brighter colour red. This usually happens after i wash in the shower. By lunch and in the afternoon there is virtually nothing. I figured i irritated the healing area when washing it in the shower and any that happens during that the rest of the day is just little bits from the area being wet so any blood that would normally be dry on dry skin comes off on the bathroom tissue. I have not expeirienced much uncomfortableness since the actual intercourse happened. It has felt normal as always and has not been sore.

Today I was fairly arroused and since my vaginal area has not been sore since having sex I reached for my vibrator. Upon inserting it and taking it back out i noticed some blood on it....similar to the night i actually had sex for the first time.

I was wondering how long it takes the hymen/vaginal area to heal? It seems as though i irritated the torn area and possibly ruptrued any clotting that has occured for the bleeding to stop.....almost like when you pick a scab after it has formed through the healing process. Also, is it a possibility that it may tear again or bleed the next time i have sex?

Posts: 12 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samy2410
Neophyte
Member # 30649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samy2410     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to share a bit of personal experience..
i didn't bleed much the first time..only slight spotting..however, the second time i bled like there was no tomorrow..my hymen kinda broke at the bottom of my vaginal opening..it didn't really hurt much..but there was alot of blood..like a heavy period..however, the bleeding stopped after a short while yet i still kept spotting for a few days..about a week later i was no longer spotting but anything that disturbed my vaginal opening caused some spotting...as a whole, it took me ten days to fully heal..i know it was ten days because thats when my boyfriend and i had sex again..and this time there wasn't any blood at all and the feeling was completely diferent...=)

Posts: 14 | From: Panama | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vaginal canal should heal just as any other part of your body. It's wise to lay off any penetrative activity, though, until it's healed properly.

A good way to prevent it from occuring again is to use plenty of extra lube and make sure you're totally aroused and relaxed.

The blood from a vaginal tear really shouldn't be the same as from a period. If you are experiencing bleeding to that extent, then you should really consider seeing a doctor. Massive amounts of blood are not normal.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.