Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Is It time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is It time
Mel000
Neophyte
Member # 29969

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mel000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i told my mum about the problem i'm having (irregular periods, which i asked yesterday) and she also thinks it's time that i go see the GYN. Im really scared about going, because i don't want some stranger looking inside of me, i've also heard that it hurt when they stick that thing into you. What do the doctors actually do, and do i really have to go or can i leave it for a bit longer? Please help!!
Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd definitely not suggest putting it off!

It really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. And if you let the clinic and the gynecologist know it's your first visit, they'll usually be more helpful in terms of telling you what to expect.

Also, you could ask the gynecologist you see to explain what he or she is doing so you know what is going on and nothing takes you by surprise.

(And don't worry so much about someone looking inside of you, gynecologists see vulvas and vaginas all the time, it's just their job and they've seen everything, so nothing that needs to be awkward at all)

Check out our article, it will help tell you a bit more about what to expect!

Your First Gynecological Visit

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mel000
Neophyte
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks heaps for you advice:) I'm terrified of going, i just can't help but feel invaded. A few articles that i've read say that girls should have their first GYN examination between 13 - 15 years of age.

i feel so much anxiety and i just don't think i'm ready to do, but i'm just so worried with what's going on with my body and i don't want to do any long term damage. Are there any "do it yourself test" which i could do myself possibly?

i no that the doctors have done this thousands of times, and say that there's nothing to worry about, but nobody really knows what you feel but you.

i feel really weak that i don't have the courage to go see the doctor. It's not like i'm a little child scared of going to to doctor, i'm 16 and should no better. But i no its easier said then done

Sorry about all all this!

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, don't apologize at all! It's common for people to have fear of personal invasion, especially when it comes to something like medical care.

You're certainly correct that no one knows what you feel but yourself, but that's why it's important to find a gynecologist you can communicate with (someone you can ask "What are you doing now?" "Am I supposed to be feeling this?" "Don't do this or that if you can help it." and someone who will give you answers and explainations and consideration).

Here's something I'd suggest: see if you can schedule an appointment, but schedule the appointment as JUST a consulation, not an examination.

Spend the appointment speaking to the gynecolgoist-
Ask about his/her general procedures, what he/she usually does and how it is done.
Ask about what sort of patients he/she has dealt with commonly and before, including those who have felt nervouse about gynecological exams.
Discuss your own personal fears.
Discuss the problem you are having with irregular periods and discuss possible causes or fixes before an actual exam.

If the gynecologist is willing to sit down and speak with you without doing an exam, and IF he/she is someone you feel more comfortable with after this visit, then your next step is to schedule the exam. If the gynecologist you see seems rude, or is impatient with you, or is pushy, or anything you aren't comfortable with? See someone else.

Comfort and trust is a good thing with a gynecologist, and establishing that before diving in (pardon the pun) is never a bad idea! [Smile]

(Just to answer your other question, really, there is no way to self examine or diagnose yourself. Gynecologists have had an extensive amount of education on reproductive health and on spotting things normal people would never know how to spot, and they can run tests that you do not have access to on your own, so this is really something you need to see a professional for)

(And just to add as well, it's recomended that girls start having annual gynecological exams as soon as they begin mesntruating [Smile] )

[ 07-24-2006, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mel000
Neophyte
Member # 29969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mel000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you so much, you've really helped me a lot [Smile] ..just one more thing, do you by any chance no what will happen to me if i don't go to the gynecologists (gee that's such a long word lol!)

thank you so much again [Big Grin] xx

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't go to the gyno you can't be tested for STD and, this way, you could have a STD without knowing it. And he's gonna look at you to see if nothing's abnormal.

That is just a safe thing to do.

Also, if you're scared of the speculum you can ask your gyno to use a smaller speculum called a speculum for virgin. But it should not hurt terribly. Someone once told me that they also have once to use on children so.

But don't worry too much about it. When I went the other day, he didn't even do the speculum exam to me. Sometimes there's no use to do it on non-sexually active persons so if you happen to be one maybe they won't do it to you.

And as for the fear of going, it's totally normal. I was too on the first time I went. Just like you. I didn't want to go either.LilBlueSmurf had a hard time here convincing me to go. But I went because it is something really important for your health.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can relate to that fear, too. i've only been once, and she said that most gynecologists usually don't give an exam to non-sexually active women, unless specifically asked. And i agree with dailicious, you really should be able to trust your doctor before any type of exam.

I hope you decide to go and that the first doc you see will be a keeper [Smile]

--------------------
"All is fair in love in war... wait... that doesn't sound right..."

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

(Hey, cool87, Milica has never said anything about being sexually active, in fact in a past post she reported not being sexually active at all, so STI screenings are not going to be something she would generally be seeking yet.)

Milica- really, your biggest worry in putting off gynecological care is that a serious medical problem could go overlooked. It's likely that you don't have anything to worry about and are perfectly healthy, but early detection is one of the best combatants against any problem, and by having annual gynecological care you're assuring you can detect problems before they become really bad (things as small as benign ovarian cysts or as serious as types of cancer).

Think of it like getting a vaccine- sure, you have to get a couple shots, and sure it's possible you would have never been in a situation where you would have been exposed to the virus you're being vaccinated for... but if the vaccine is there, why risk it?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.