Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Feedback on Nuvaring?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feedback on Nuvaring?
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey all...i am currently on the pill but i was thinking about switching to nuvaring (and yes there are posts similar so i sorry if this seems redundant, but none w. the answer to my questions) but i was wondering about how people who are on it feel about it. 1) Has anyone experienced a higher rate of vaginal irritation, yeast infections etc? (i seem to be more susceptible to yeast infections than most so its an issue) 2) has anyone tried to skip a period on it? I know its probably not the best thing, but i am in a long distance relationship so the sex is just worth it when the dates dont work in my favor. Thanks so much and any other feedback would be great.
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't give you answers on NuvaRing use from a personal view, but something I CAN tell you is this:

If you're prone to yeast infections, it's NOT recomendable to skip your placebo week. Having your period (or withdrawl bleed on hormonal birth control) is a part of the vagina's natural cleaning process, and by not having it, you can increase your chances of getting yeast infections.

(Additionally, you can still have sex while you're on your period, if you're both comfortable doing so, just put down towels or something similar to help with mess [Smile] )

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to switch to the ring in September (once I'm in the same town as my gyno again) so I can't answer you're questions based on my experiences, but my friend is on the Nuvaring and skips the placebo week so often that she only has two periods a year, with little side effects.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isabelle
Neophyte
Member # 29931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i went on the ring for a while, it worked pretty well but i felt weird having sex with my bf cause it was in there so i stopped, i dont really know if it affected him or not but i know its pretty easy to put in and pretty easy to take out and i'm pretty sensitive, sometimes though it would feel like it was slipping down my canal and it was right at the edge of my vagina so it felt really weird.
I hear though that it doesnt work that well in pregnancy at least my friend knew someone who got pregnant while she was on it so umm..just warning you

Posts: 29 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear though that it doesnt work that well in pregnancy at least my friend knew someone who got pregnant while she was on it
According to the nuvaring site, it's 99% effective when used correctly. So either your friend didn't use it correctly, or she was one of the unlucky 1%.

Also, you can take the nuvaring out for sex if it bothers you, so long as you put it back in within three hours. When another one of my friends started on the ring, she constantly felt like it was about to fall out, but that was just her and her vagina getting used to it, and after two or three days she was fine.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camiro
Activist
Member # 14658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camiro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use nuvarings, and love it! I can't even tell if it's in there, it's super easy to use (I always forgot to take the pill when I was on it, which is why is why I started the ring,) and my boyfriend can't feel it either.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.