Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » period worries

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period worries
poserxmeetsxme
Activist
Member # 29955

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poserxmeetsxme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my period for only a couple months, since March 2006 actually, but they were pretty regular until last month. In June I got my period on the 5th, which made it 30 since my last one. It was pretty normal, 6 days in length, everything was fine. Then I suddenly got my period on the 25 th of June. Thaat meant only 21 days had passed. That scared me a lot! The longest i had gone was 30 days, and the shortest was 28, so 21 was frightening. What happened that caused me to get it so early? Is something wrong?
Posts: 51 | From: Lombard | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalinacisne
Activist
Member # 27839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalinacisne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you saying you got your period for the first time in March '06? In that case, there's nothing to worry about. Periods can be go off-schedule, or seem to have no schedule at all, for up to two years after you first start getting them. Your body is still getting on track with the menstruation process.

If the irregularity really bothers you/makes life genuinely more difficult, you can talk to your doctor/gyno about going on a low-hormanal dose birth control pill to even them out. My cycle used to be all over the place, but now that I'm on The Pill, I can predict when my period will start practically to the hour.

--------------------
amawesome - (adj.) a combination of 'amazing' and 'awesome,' usually by someone who has tied on a few too many. Ex: No, dude, listen! I like, luv ya man! I mean, you're like, amawesome!

Posts: 65 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, just to slightly correct something catalinacisne said-

It's completely normal for young women to experience irregularity, and it is completely natural to have MORE irregularity until you've had your period for about 4-5 years, not just 2. It's all part of how your body and hormones are changing during puberty as your age and grow.

So, if you've had your period since March of this year, it's probably much MORE likely you'd be experiencing irregular periods than regular ones at this stage. The general average length between cycles should be anywhere between about 21 to 32 days, also, just to let you know [Smile]

And we recomend that all women who begin menstruating start getting annual gynecological care, anyway, so the suggestiong to speak to your gynecologist is a good one (though I'd probably say that at this early in having your period, you wouldn't necessarily need to think about hormonal birth control to help regulate it, but that again would be better to discuss with a gynecologist if you were in fact interested)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods don't normalize for most women for about five years. You've got a long way to go before they're truly, utterly normal. Even then, periods can often deviate from their schedule.

For instance, It's been 8 years for me, and after I went off birth control, I seem to have reverted to a 5-6 week cycle. I recently had a 2 week cycle, and it's been almost a decade for me.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.