Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Passing Out from Masturbation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Passing Out from Masturbation?
helpimconfuzzled
Activist
Member # 28953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpimconfuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that you can pass out from masturbation? Is this true? and how is that even possible?
Posts: 91 | From: uk | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um. Well, it's extremely unlikely that you'll be masturbating that hard, but yes you can. In theory. Masturbation causes an elevated heart rate, and a seriously elevated heart rate can make you pass out. It's like when people pass out after running sprints or doing the bleep test in athletics. If you're going *ahem* full pelt for a long time, i suppose you could theoretically pass out. But you'd get too tired to keep it up (bad pun [Wink] ) long before you actually passed out.
Basically, unless you're going as fast as you can for like, i don't know, 5 minutes (far longer than you'd think) you could pass out. But I don't see how you'd go this long without having an orgasm or being too tired to carry on. So, I'm pretty sure you've got nothing to worry about.

--------------------
ďIn a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I donít know what I am. I donít know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.Ē

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual arousal or orgasm can cause some people (although this does tend to be a little on the rare side) to experience a temporary loss of conciousness. Your breathing tends to become quicker and each breath becomes shorter when you are aroused.

Some people can hyperventilate due to such a rapid increase in their breathing. If this does happen, your Carbon dioxyde levels in your blood drop which can cause you to get lightheaded or faint. Alcohol taken in large quantities can have the same effect.

Also, when you get aroused your blood gets redirected somewhat, sending more of it to your genitals. If the brain does not receive the nutrients and oxyegen that is normally accustomed to receiving it can cause a temporary feeling of faintness.

But it is not really common. If a person happens to experience inconciousness often during masturbation or sex, then she should really go see her doctor since it could be linked to another medical condition.

[ 07-23-2006, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpimconfuzzled
Activist
Member # 28953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpimconfuzzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the help [Smile] x
Posts: 91 | From: uk | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cool87:
If this does happen, your Carbon Monoxide levels in your blood drop which can cause you to get lightheaded or faint.

that would be carbon DIoxide.. usually when you inhale enough to pass out from carbon MONoxide, your'e dead..

[Smile]

just a friendly science-geek FYI!

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, 'science geek', a DROP in Carbon MONoxide would be harmless - it's an INCREASE in Carbon MONoxide levels that would kill you.
Also for those of you who might don't know, the reason that a DROP in Carbon DIoxide would be harmful is that it is small levels of this gas that trigger the breathing mechanism. So when you hyperventilate, you clean out all the Carbon DIoxide, and find yourself unable to breathe and pass out.
See, I can out-geek all of you. [Cool]

--------------------
ďIn a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I donít know what I am. I donít know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.Ē

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(smileyjoseph, there's no need to be snarky, okay? I think blueveggie was pointing out that there'd be no drop in CO levels in someone because there shouldn't be any CO in someone's bloodstream. Adding to or correcting information is one thing, but using sarcasm isn't cool here. You've been asked to mind your words before, so just consider this another friendly reminder!)

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I forget sometimes that only people that know me well get this kind of joke - it's kind of a running joke my friends and I have. I'll try to cut out the sarcasm in future.

--------------------

fonz
Activist
Member # 25706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but its not harmful! isnt that what this site is trying to tell us?

that its normal and ok and not shameful or bad for your health? PLEASE dont freak me out like that-if it really was harmful i think id be dead by now!!

--------------------
Nothing is right, but its perfect

Posts: 78 | From: Inner Sanctum | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Fonz, masturbation is not harmful in itself, what can be harmful is passing out from it.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fonz
Activist
Member # 25706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
o right sorry, i just got confused
ya i bet passing out is no picnic [Wink]

--------------------
Nothing is right, but its perfect

Posts: 78 | From: Inner Sanctum | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.