Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Orgasms - what are they?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Orgasms - what are they?
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there - can anyone tell me what an orgasm is? Cause I don't know if I've had one. It certainly wasn't as incredible as you hear about. And is it true that circumcised men have less powerful orgasms than uncircumcised men? And I heard that men and women can have just as powerful orgasms, but how does this work when the clitoris is much more sensitive than the penis? Also would anyone be willing to organ donate me a clitoris cause they sound GREAT and I'm gettin' me one of those. A vagina too would be great, but like removable, for the weekends and stuff. [Smile]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you are hearing a lot of the things you are hearing, but it seems like you tend to believe a lot of what you hear/read, most of which is total bollocks.

The clitoris isn't necessarily more sensitive than the penis. This can be a personal thing, as one woman might respond very strongly to clitorial stimulation, whereas another might sit there flat as a dishrag, or feel discomfort.

And no, uncircumsized men and circumsized men can have equally as strong orgasms.

Take a peek at this, for starters:

Sexual Response and Orgasm

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SmileyJoe- that's a good idea about rent-a-vagina. Someone should invent that. Actually, my idea is more like rent-a-temporary-sex-change. Imagine if men could understand what it's like to be female for a day from the inside, and vice versa. I'd love to be able to do that. In the meantime though, communication, honesty, and intimacy, seem to work the best in terms of gaining an understanding of the opposite sex (and your own).
Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Actually, the clitoris does have more sensory nerve endings than any other part of the male OR female body. However, orgasm is about more than just physical sensation and sensitivity.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too, it's worth saying that having a vulva is hardly all there is to being female, so a man who could magically posses a vagina/vulva would know only what it was like to have a vulva (and only for a day), not to be female.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true. I didn't mean to equate women and vaginas. So sorry if it came across that way. In my head I was extending the idea of rent-a-vagina to rent-a-mind-body-and-existence-of-the-other-sex-for-a-day.

But seriously, please don't think I meant that having a vagina is all there is to being a woman. Obviously that is not the case and I didn't mean to suggest that. But thanks for pointing out my miscommunication.

Incidentally, about the terms 'vulva' and 'vagina': is the vagina part of the vulva, is it vice versa, or are they two distinct areas with no grammatical overlap? Those terms are misused way too often; I want to make sure I'm not misusing them myself. (Sorry for changing the subject)

[ 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: kluekozyte ]

Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you take a look at those great article here on the main site. There's one in particular about the female anatomy. It is called pink parts.

Just look at it. It may be of great help for you even if it is aimed at women.

http://www.scarleteen.com/body/female_anatomy_2.html

And here's the answer to your question.
quote:
The proper name for the outer female genitals is the vulva (vuhl-vah). The vagina is only one part of these organs, and not the whole of them, and many people mistakenly call the vulva the vagina.

[ 07-05-2006, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Thanks cool. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that 'vulva' refers to the external parts including the vagina. All settled now, in any case.

[ 07-05-2006, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: kluekozyte ]

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, yeah I'd like to echo what kluekozyte [spelling?] said - the main part of my point was about sexual response, but i didn't mean to imply that possession of a vulva equates to womanhood.
Well, that's the third different apology I've posted in 20 minutes... I should try to be more PC in future. [Wink]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.