Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » dental dams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dental dams
ILoveMyBoy
Neophyte
Member # 29585

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveMyBoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many people are asking about safe oral sex and many readers ar suggesting condoms or "dental dams" i would like 2 know where would you buy a dental dam and wat can be used as a substitute???

--------------------
****T!gG3r Wuvz U vERy Much****

Posts: 1 | From: Bklyn,NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dental dams can be hard to find.

But you can make your own by using non-microwaveable Saran wrap or by cutting a condom open so you get a flat sheet of latex.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cherry Gurl
Neophyte
Member # 29491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cherry Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
call me stupid...how do you use a dental dam? what is it?

--------------------
....:::...*((LaRi))*...:::....

Posts: 12 | From: Venezuela | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one here is gonna call you stupid [Wink]

A dental dam is a square/rectangular piece of latex that is used for oral sex on women. It is stretched out over the vulva in a way that the mouth should never come in contact with the vulva or any bodily fluids ... thus decreasing the risk of STI transmission [Smile]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joyfulgirl
Activist
Member # 29302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joyfulgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do they sell dental dams in convenience stores with condoms and lube and stuff? and if you can't find anything else is a latex glove (cut into the right shape) ok to use? i'm not sexually active yet, but i know i'll need to know this some day. thanks!

--------------------
"they say you can bear anythng if you can tell a story about it."

-sue monk kidd
the mermaid chair

Posts: 50 | From: western massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it depends on where you live, but I've never seen dental dams in drugstores or grocery stores with the condoms and lube - the only place I've ever found them is online or in sexuality specialty shops.

It may be possible to use a cut up glove in place of a dental dam, but I'm really not sure you'd be able to get a big enough piece out of a glove. The whole idea behind the dental dam is that it covers the entire genital area, and most gloves wouldn't give you enough latex for that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really not sure you'd be able to get a big enough piece out of a glove.

It's likely to be easier and cheaper to cut open a condom, or use Saran wrap.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maxfactor3269
Neophyte
Member # 29688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxfactor3269         Edit/Delete Post 
this might be stupid but how exactly does any "feeling come through" if its covering the whole genital area during oral sex?
Posts: 16 | From: pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latex isn't THAT thick of a material, and by covering the genital area, we're not implying you hold the latex up like it would form a wall, the latex should be put up against the genitals, not in front of them.

Think of it this way- have you ever worn a latex glove? Have you been able to feel things through the glove, even though it was covering your skin?

And if you touch something while wearing a latex glove, that object has still been touched in just about the same way, correct?

That's the same way stimulation is just the same when latex is covering the genitals.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.