Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control
lostxxtears
Neophyte
Member # 26242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostxxtears     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so after my boyfriend comes back when the summer ends ( [Frown] leaving for 2 months) we want to get birth control, if I'm not pregnant now :S
I was wondering what kind of exams they do when they're going to give you birth control. I know whenever my mom goes to the gyno they do this thing, not sure what it's called, where they stick some metal thing inside and like do a scraping or something to test for diseases. Sounds painful. Anyways, I'd just like to know what they do before they give you birth control so I can be ready [Smile]

Posts: 23 | From: Arizona | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "scraping" you're talking about, by the way?

It's a swab, and it's uncomfortable, sure, but not painful as such. I've had them done many a time, and it's uncomfortable for a moment while they do it, then it's gone, nothing, wouldn't even know.

Just to chase away any demons you might have had on that one. ^.~

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostxxtears
Neophyte
Member # 26242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostxxtears     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a swab, and it's uncomfortable, sure, but not painful as such. I've had them done many a time, and it's uncomfortable for a moment while they do it, then it's gone, nothing, wouldn't even know.

haha really? good...i thought i was going to die or something [Big Grin] is that the only test thing they do to prescribe birth control?

Posts: 23 | From: Arizona | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They usually don't do "tests" to give you BC. What you are refering to is a gynecological exam, specifically a pap smear, which tests for cervical cancer, or general abnormalities in the cells.. It is suggested that you get one regularly once you become sexually active.

Your doctor can write you a prescription for BC if you ask, but the pap smear and OB/GYN exams are seperate.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keekee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lostxxtears, when i went to get my BC tabs for the first time i was scared beyond belief. Well all he did was do the usual checks like my blood pressure, heart rate etc. Then he asked questions about past family history, if i have varicose veins. Afterwards he advised me on the best one for me and the medication i was already on. That was it! NO exams! NO pap smears! Simply ask and your doctor will take you through the motions. Another thing is that ive known my doctor since I was born... two days after i was born he visited me at home. So, i have built up trust with him and that helped me a great deal.
good luck ...
lots of love
keekee

--------------------
Yes, know thyself: in great concerns or small, Be this thy care, for this, my friend, is all. - Juvenal

Abuse can and will only survive and thrive if silence is kept. So lets speak out?!

Posts: 83 | From: Dagenham, Essex UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, just to point out: keekee is in the UK like me. I know over here we don't need any exams for BC (which seems stupid to me), but it may well be different in the USA.
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keekee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry ... forgot to mention i am in the grand old island they call the United Kingdom.
Thankyou ladydexter xxx
love always
keekee
xx

--------------------
Yes, know thyself: in great concerns or small, Be this thy care, for this, my friend, is all. - Juvenal

Abuse can and will only survive and thrive if silence is kept. So lets speak out?!

Posts: 83 | From: Dagenham, Essex UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, anywhere one should have those exams first (and every year), but to my knowledge, there's no location in which they are required.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Exactly I agree ... they should be just to check you healthy and happy. Hope you manage to get the BC pills you require lostxxtears!!! [Smile] just relax you'll do fine ...
(hiya mizz scarlet ... good evening!)
keekee
xxx

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.